Live Performance Of Opeth

Do you agree?

• You may love the robotic appearances of the band

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • You may prefer the watch Ozzyish creatures on the platform

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
weird, what city what tour?? cos if my memory serves me correctly, metallica did'nt do support for ozzy until Masters..u would be bulshitting me know would ya, ya big headbanging tard??

Scorpion.

You're not the first person I've encountered who feels that, even if it's one of your favorite bands who plays one of your favorite types of music, that without a certain pomp to their stage performance they fail to completely amuse you.

Hey, that's you man. Nothing wrong with opinions.

But dude, even thinking of comparing Opeth to Ozzy seems preposterous. I don't give a damn if Black Sabbath were one of (if not the first) band who can be classified as 'metal', and that Tony Iommi opened certain doors riff-wise for many future metal bands. The fact still remains that Opeth is musically in a league of it's own, ESPECIALLY when compared to the style of Sabbath. That was the 70's, this is 2003. Following suit, the personality types of Ozzy and Mikael are completely different. Therefore, why SHOULD one expect the mild-mannered, soft spoken Akerfelt to step out of his own shoes and into those of another? I don't mean into Ozzy's shoes, but into those of a performer who uses frequent physical and verbal communication during and between songs. Mikael is who he is, and is obviously content within himself. If the band chooses to focus upon the creation of their music rather than the more transient facets of live performance (as I mentioned: facial expressions, body movement, the number of words spoken between songs), I personally see NO FAULT in that choice.

The fact that Opeth chooses to reserve themselves for what the concert is for (MUSIC), speaks louder in itself than any witty comment or random expulsion of words that Mikael could ever choose to utter.

I know that the initial post was your opinion, Scorpion, and I have no intention of stifling that. I just hope to shed some light upon what I believe is truly important when it comes to music.

For me, comparing the majesty of what was once Ozzy Osbourne to the sheer "intelligent" metal of Opeth is like comparing selloutica in '84 to a '71 Deep Purple- it's two different generations, if not two different worlds.

Sabbath will always be my favorite band (with Judas Priest), but I'm also not silly to say that Sabbath is "better" than Opeth; Opeth simply carries the torch for bands that came before them. To sit and compare these bands is fruitless and starts ridiculous arguements...although I'm always up for the occasional row :)

Long live metal...that says it all.

Chris

"How long did it take you to get into the band in the first place? I know VERY few people that loved Opeth upon first listen... I sure didn't."

Dude, the first time I heard them, I knew it was the most badass thing I'd heard in YEARS. The first notes of "the leper affinity" knocked me out of my chair and I've worshipped them ever since.

Originally posted by Scorpion
Haa haa haaa :mad: !!!Dear grand grand child of Aristo,I don't know the worth of a camel to your side, it may be holy to you ,but everybody knows except you that Ozzy is the main factor to lead the music industry to support heavy metal with his great number of sold albums.I'm not comparing their sounds, I'm telling that Black Sabbath opened the way on which today's heavy metal bands walk.Ozzy ,with his extraordiary charisma ,was the first advertiser of heavy metal who made the world know it.That took the attentions of music companies.That's why Ozzfest Festival is organised every year.If there was no Ozzy ,companies would not spend money on heavy metal as they do today.If you had said 'there'd be no Opeth if there was no Anathema', it'd be a little logical cos the effects of Anathema on Opeth is very clear.:lol:

All right! I struck a nerve!

Dance, my spinless little urchin puppet, dance!!

Originally posted by Scorpion
I think a concert is nothing with a good stage performance.
In Ozzy's case I agree their styles are quite different, I've meant that Ozzy is a perfect communicater with his crowd and knows when to headbang, he's also the leader which opened the gate of money to today's heavy metal bands.

Of course Ozzy probably headbangs at all the right times with no problems... he's not up their playing intricate guitar riffs and solos, now is he? Try headbanging perfectly and at the right time with a riff while you're playing a melodic solo; it doesn't always work that smoothly. Ozzy can just sing and then headbang; he doesn't have to worry about doing that much at once.

As far as the rest of what you're saying about Opeth's stage presence, I agree with everything Aethernal said. Mikael is who he is and I thought he was very captivating and entertaining at the Philadelphia show when I saw them. I've never seen a band have a crowd with them like that at the end, so unless it was just an out of the ordinary, freak concert I saw, Opeth has nothing to worry about performance-wise.

Also, I find it just a tad bit pathetic that someone who considers themself a such a true headbanger needs to look and mimic the frontman's headbanging rythm in order to fully enjoy themselves and stay with the music. I didn't realize it required that much concentration to headbang, but maybe that's just my unique gift of coordination and good blood circulation helping me out.