Live rack setup recommendations?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, now that I've got a JSX on the way, I wanted to know your recommendations for a simple live rack setup to accompany it. As far as power conditioning, I was thinking the Monster Powercenter 900, which price- and performance-wise seems to be a good middle ground between the shitty base Furman M-8 series and the more expensive Furman PL/Monster Powercenter 2500.

As for FX, I was thinking the Lexicon MX200, cuz even though all I need is a good delay and compressor, this still seems to be the most cost-effective way, rather than buying separate delay and comp. pedals.

Any thoughts?

Well compression after the preamp sounds differently than compression before. What are you using your compressor for? Clean sounds? If so than I'd put the compression before the pre. Given that the Mx200 isn't going to do it. Also are you going to midi switch the presets? If not how are you going to turn your effects on/off? A delay pedal in the loop may be the easiest solution for your delay needs.

Well the JSX footswitch has a button to enable/disable the FX loop, which will be the equivalent of turning them on or off. And I'd actually be using compression for dirty stuff, subtly but enough to tame the levels just a bit, and my thinking was that in a recording environment, compression is applied on already recorded (and thus distorted) guitar tracks, and so this would be the same idea, just between the pre- and power-amps (and the MX200 has built-in dbx compression, so it could cover that and delay).

Any thoughts on the power conditioners anyone?

Lamb of god uses compression before their amp (DBX 266XL i think), i wonder how that would sound ? maybe they use it to drive their head (like a tube screamer)

I heard Mike Gilbert From Severed Saviour playing an Engl Rack mount pre amp amd power amp through a TC G Major in San Francisco.

Durring the mic check he did 10 seconds of Trapped in a Corner by Death with a Pitch Shifter on and it sounded amazing.

Then he switched to clean channel and was doing some jazz riffs and sweeps with a bit of delay and maybe some reverb and chorus.

It really sounded like a great unit.

Its only $399 and can do amp channel switching as well.

I contacted Peavey and they told me how to make a 7 pin Din to 1/4" cable to connect from the XXX head to the channel switching outputs of the G Major.

Then the Peavey head can be controlled via midi through the effects processor.

I heard kind of bad reviews about the g-major. about knobs falling down (I know it does not affect the sound but...), and also that it coloured the sound ??!!! but i dont know really the value of these informations.

i guess your ears are the best witness, if you liked it, buy it !!

any members of this board have other opinions about that g-major ?

I heard kind of bad reviews about the g-major. about knobs falling down (I know it does not affect the sound but...), and also that it coloured the sound ??!!! but i dont know really the value of these informations.

i guess your ears are the best witness, if you liked it, buy it !!

any members of this board have other opinions about that g-major ?

I hear you, I have heard the same things.

But I have also heard that for the money its one of the best sounding processors at its price compared to other units like the Lexicon G2.

I figured Mike Gilbert is an amazing player with Amazing gear. If someone plays a $2000 Jackson SLH2 and a $6000 Engl Rig with a $399 G-Major as his effects, it must be worth a try.