Live Recording

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to put it.

Basically, a band I know have asked me to record them playing a private gig that they're doing. It'll be a chilled out affair, so no rushing around with gear etc at the end of the night and no venue pressures. I'll obviously need to haul my rig over, but it's not a huge deal as I do that for location recording anyway.

They've asked me to record the hour set and mix a few of the songs for them. At the moment I charge £100 to record, edit and mix a track. There wouldn't be any major editing to be done on this as it's all live, so that cuts out a big part of the work.

Any tips you guys might have for this sort of recording would also be useful. I can only assume it's going to throw up a lot of things that I'd not encounter on a typical "studio" recording, especially with the bleed from all the instruments.

The big problem I have though, is that I've never done a live recording and I'm unsure how much I should charge them for it. Should I do it on a per track basis or on a time basis? Or should I see how good things turn out and take it from there? I am shite at business stuff, I am trying to improve though.

Keep charging your usual amount, unless you want to do a deal (eg; full set is £300).

Also - make sure you keep the multitracks.
Charge them if they want them but always keep a copy for insurance.

As for tips:

Try to split from stage.
if you can't split from stage, try to use Direct Outs pre EVERYTHING.
If you can't get pre fader / insert then try to minimise use of gates / compression.

I usually cut down my channel count to bare minimum, so you're looking at 16+ tracks to capture everything without extraneous channels. DI bass AND guitars if possible.

For vox and snare channels, it might be idea to put them on channels with pads as they tend to be a bit hot at times (if you're coming in at line level).

Happy to help!

I'd post more but I'm just heading out to work.. If you want, I'll post up more tips this afternoon / evening?