Live vocal mic preamp and mixing board!!

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
OK i was thinking of getting a "groves tube brick Mic preamp" for live vocals and we also need a good mixing board to run sound at small place which have no pa.

We got an alesis board right now and a channel died and makes vocals sound thin ( i tried using board to record vocals oh my god Mic pre's in it suck).

So any thoughts on a good Mic preamp we could drag around live?

Also a good mixing board we only need like 6 channel board and i say 6 as needing 6 Mic pre's....

i was thinking of that groves tube brick for live cause we could bring anywhere and hook up to there house pa!! Any better idea's please let me know :headbang:

What about the Studio Projects VTB1? It's a 1 channel tube pre. I've heard good things about them (on this forum too I think), they're pretty cheap, and it's only half-rack sized I think so it should be nice and portable.

Steve

i dont know about much about that one but i thought that was a cheap ..toob not tube mic preamp????

were looking for something good and if it cost a couple hundred than so be it i think that grovetubes brick is like 400 so probly something around that price range:headbang:

anyone???

now could you bring that to live shows and just have them plug that into there house pa and achive a beter sound? or not even worth it????

or even to plug into our cheap ass mixing board to achive a beter sound??

I'm guessing you would get way better sound! I've never tried one at a gig, but I think the comp would work well for vox. I was just mentioning my favorite $300 channel strip. I have yet to try the GT brick, so you might get what your after with that. Don't let me influence you into buying shitty equipment, but we just use a Behringer Eurodesk with DBX comp/limiters for live (70s classic rock band ).:kickass: It's cheap ass shit, but it works good, so it's not bad for bars! We've also got a powered behri mixer in the garage too, that has always worked good!

To clarify: the VTB-1 has an actual 12AX7 preamp tube in the unit.

~e.a

If you're looking for a good sounding, affordable compact live mixing desk I would strongly recoomand the Allen & Heath mixwizzard

http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=49

I think they have very good sounding preamps for the price + you have 6 aux sends and 2 onboard FX wich actually sound decent too.

as for the vocal pre: first off i would suggest splitting the vocal signal if you're running monitors from FOH, if you're going to use (tube) compression you'll get feedback on the monitors a lot faster. So run the dry channel to the monitors if possible.
cool vocal pre's IMO: focusrite voicemaster, TLAudio VP-1, TLAudio5051

yea i almost want one of those allen and heath just for some diff flavor of preamps for drums!!!

but i think for the price i could do some diy api 312 preamps with my dads help of course. But i kinda wana learn how to build them anyway :headbang: