Livesound engineers around the world

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Just thought it would be interesting to compare the general rates for mixing shows in different countries..
Obviously there are huge differences with currency, but I was thinking about it today as I have a lot of overseas work coming up - it would be interesting to know how much the average live engineer will make per show (larger scale shows)..

In New Zealand I can charge around NZD$250 for the average good-budget show (not like a shitty bar show or anything, youre looking more at $150 for something like that). Bigger shows you can charge more I guess, and of course there are always other people making the big bucks that charge a lot more than that..

Would be interested to know different rates in Europe, USA, etc..

Its about the same... I haven't mixed at any venues larger than the Whiskey, but I was paid around $400 for those nights.

I would say more than anything, its the acts involved and what they are paying you... I have only gotten paid by the venue once and it was a REALLY small club (250 capacity)...

Well Europe and US have pretty much the same rate, it's the poorer countries from like South America where the difference comes.

I have an hourly rate of 15€ or a solid rate of 100€ for one band, 50€ for each extra bands, 50€-100€ for other non-mixing related stuff (building the PA-system etc) plus travelling expenses, accommodation and food. Usually it means between 125-300€ (175-450$)

I live in El Salvador, Central america, very diferent rates here, normaly you do something like $35 - $50 a nigth for bars and little shows, for something bigger maybe between $75 - $100 a night and if you are good and well connected you can get shows that paid around $150 but those shows are very rare maybe 1 each two or three months...

yeap, live here sucks :Smug:

(i forget to say that the life here is muuuchh cheaper than other countries, but what really sucks is that the equipment cost even more... )

the British are amongst the highest paid engineers.

Americans get peanuts (but are all unionized .. so go figure).

A good wage for a tour is £150+ a day for crew.
You could be up to around £400 a day for an engineer.

Plus PDs,.. in a short tour you could be pulling nearly £6000 for ten days.

That'll be 1,500 + venues though.
I can give you definite figures if you really want though.