Living Loud

Got the CD yesterday. Only listened to the Ozzy stuff so far - Jimmy does very well, but surprisingly the weakest link is Steve Morse, if only because he doesn't play Randy's solos. :(

Don Airey is listed as "special guest".

Of course they are! But when I hear a good cover, I prefer it when a band puts their own stamp on it. Morse playing Randy's solos note-for-note wouldn't be it. These songs are always going to be compared to the originals, but they're not. They're new versions.

Apparently not. Here's what they wrote in the CD booklet thing:

In 2002, Daisley's and Kerslake's performances were removed from the original "Blizzard of Ozz" and "Diary of a Madman" albums after they sued the Osbournes for non-payment of royalties and "lack of credit" issues and those original classic versions were lost. Bob Saisley and Lee Kerslake wish to highlight that this album is in no way any kind of retaliation to what the Osbournes did to the originals, as Daisley intended to re-record some of these songs when the time was right. That time is now!

I don't blame em if they did just rerecord them to get some royalties - they were screwed around a bit by the Osbournes.

How many songs on Blizzard and Diary did Bob and Lee actually write? I've never actually bought em cos I'm content with Tribute.

Spiff said:
How many songs on Blizzard and Diary did Bob and Lee actually write?
All of them. But the dispute wasn't about songwriting royalties, it was about performance royalties. ie, they were supposed to get a cut for every album sold because they'd played on the albums, but they didn't. And so they couldn't, their performances were wiped. The remastered versions have Trujillo and Puffy playing the bass and drums.

Ah, but the 1995 remasters didn't :). The only thing letting them down is the cover design (OZZY in big letters with a scaled down version of the original photos/artwork). Are these still in circulation or should I start browsing the second hand shops?

W

I have a box set of "Diary...", "Bark..." and "...Sin" that I got for Christmas. They are the original, un-remasters. :) I think that's the only way you can get them now, but most places sell it for like $20, so it's not bad.

I'm not a fan of Barnes either but he sang the Ozzy songs great! I thought Morse did the bare minimum with the Randy solos but still did great on the new songs. Barnes was actually man of the match for me. Great performance. Suprize of the n ight was that Lee Kerslake has got bigger than a block of flats. Not that there's anything wrong with that but he didn't look too healthy weight wise behind the drum kit. Like a crane had planted him there? None the less good to see a bit of a supergroup coming from out of Australia. Bob Daisley rules!

I think this is going to be a case of whether you're a fan of Barnes, or whether you're not. That he's the singer is really only going to be a big deal here in Oz. In other countries no one knows who he is, so it will be seen as Morse's band, or Daisley and Kerslake's.