Loadbox??

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
Hey

I found some explanations about that but not exactly what I wanted..

As I cannot use a real cab at home, I was looking on Torpedo PI101 cab sim to reamp my guitars using my own amp. I thought it was possible to plug the amp in a preamp or the soundcard directly and use the Torpedo but apparently, I would need a loadbox.

Well, I don't know what is a loadbox. Do someone could give me some light on this? Also could I use my amp and the the cab sim from Torpedo without a loadbox?

Thanks a lot!

You're amplifier always needs to be plugged into a guitar cab at the correct impedance when it's turned on or else you can blow a transformer or if your lucky just blow a fuse. A loadbox has basically a big resistor or speaker motor inside it that allows you to plug right into the loadbox instead of a guitar cab since it can handle the signal your amp sends out normally to a guitar cab.

150W 4, 8 or 16ohm resistor with a regular 1/4" mono jack wired to it. There is your loadbox. ~$30.

oh yeah? I checked the price and it's pretty expensive!
where can I get some info on how make this? maybe could you PM me something to help me? (it doesn't sound like it's difficult but I must add that I'm a REAL shit this kind of stuff so I ask...)

Thanks! PM'd!

Another question (very possibly stupid but...) If it's about to not use an amp without a cab connected to it, would it works like that:
reamp box > amp (real cab connected - speaker output) > soundcard (amp line out) > torpedo cab sim
maybe there is a way to mute the speaker output???