Local news

Well, after the summer that never really happened, it smells like autumn here already. Nights are chilly, there's a bit of fog in the mornings, but the days are still beautiful and warm. Autumns here usually are wonderful, so I hope that at least the autumn will be proper. At least next week it will be so, if forecasts are to be believed.

Here's Mr. Stubb's priceless reaction in the process of hearing

Here's another good one: Stubb realizing that there's a camera present.

23507077stubb-anim.gif

Finland officially got first snow this morning, but not in Lapland. The North Karelian town of Ilomantsi measured 8 centimeters of snow at 9 AM (up to 25 centimeters has been estimated locally!). Wet snow and strong wind has caused power outages and traffic trouble around eastern Finland. Unusually cold weather continues through tomorrow, and there's a slight chance of official first snow at my neck of the woods as well.

Ilomantsi+ensilumi

A young woman from Blagoevgrad went to court, asking to change her name from Radka (which is an old traditional Bulgarian name, derivative of Radost - Joy) to Vilelauria - her being a huge fan of Ville Valo of HIM fame and Lauri Ylönen, formerly of The Rasmus fame.
(Here, after you turn 16, you can go to court and ask to have your first name changed. You have to motivate your plea and bring witnesses to testify that you are known to everyone else with a different name, usually some pet name of your original one, though we had some extremes, such as the guy who went to court and after a long battle managed to change his name to "Manchester United")

So Vilelauria told the court she didn't like her name and has been a subject to mocking and bullying at school (there is an old chalga hit "Radka Piratka"). Her mother also testified that she never wanted to name her daughter Radka, but was sort of forced to name her after her mother-in-law (sort of a tradition here to name your firstborn after one of the parents of the father). Villelauria's friends and relatives also testified that she introduced herself as Vilelauria and they called her Vilelauria, or Vili for short (a pet name for several girls' names in Bulgaria, including Violeta, Velichka, Velislava, etc...).
In his motives, the judge explained at great length who Ville Valo and Lauri Ylönen are - quoting WIkipedia - mentioned some oddities about both of them.
"Considering the above mentioned, the court finds, that the idea of the petitioner to come up with a new name, which is a combination of two male names, be they of such famous rock frontmen, is rather, to put it very mildly, extravagant."

The judge noted that Vilelauria is of the young generation, mentioned the internet, gay marriages, started one of his sentences with "Unfortunately" (in English) and threw in some legalese for good measure. Further he explained that Vilelauria is a very untraditional name, wrote that the court is a conservative institution, quoting some classical Bulgarian literature, and hence he cannot let Vilelauria use this name in her official documents, because "Much to her dismay, she is not born in Finland", but ruled that from now on she will be known to the authorities as Vili, which was the second option in her plea.

It's just too much of a hassle to translate the judge's motives in full and it's a shame, because legalese and boring shit aside, the guy obviously has a wonderful sense of humour.

And I mean... seriously... Vilelauria?! :OMG:

It's all kinds of cold here. Around 0 °C since last night and still no central heating :( The old miserable fan heater just doesn't get the job done.

Forum seems to have gone real quiet lately...what's going on?

Not much on the Amo front at least (maybe Tuuletar is going to the gig tonight? I must admit I've become a bit lazy in this respect, and too preoccupied with other stuff.)

Finally some good general news from our country, though: Parliament just gave the thumbs up to gender-equal marriage. :D The voting itself was very tight, but the numbers of people outside gave a clear message: next to the small white "Finland for Jesus" bus (top center) some two dozen people demonstrated in favor of the status quo, across the street several thousands shouted for equal rights. I'm somewhere in the bottom middle section. ;)

Yeah, that's the bottom line. Technically, it's about removing all gender-references from the existing marriage law, so the term used in public debate here has been "sukupuolineutraali avioliitto", meaning "gender-neutral marriage". Bureaucratese is a lovely language. :p