Logic's metronome too quiet

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
While recording, my bandmates sometimes complain that they can't hear the click well enough. The sound of the built-in metronome in Logic does seem like it easily is buried under. I've tried pushing it all the way up, even putting a compressor to its channel strip so it pumps like hell, but I haven't thought of anything effective yet.

Any suggestions? Should I actually EQ the metronome so people can hear it better? Or should I pitchshift it to a higher pitch? Change the entire Klopfgeist sound to something else? Any suggestions?

I've already set the metronome to its full volume from the metronome settings. It does clip a bit every 4 beats, but I always have a limiter in the master, and I always make sure that the instruments I'm recording don't clip.

klopgeist is dogshit.
If i actually used logic for anything, id be using my own sounds in ultrabeat or something.

klopgeist is dogshit.
If i actually used logic for anything, id be using my own sounds in ultrabeat or something.

Gotta try that, thanks.

I know I can change the sound to something else, I'm just hoping I won't need to manually set it for every project I have...

Right click on the metronom icon.....

The metronom could clip at some settings, so if it gets buried you track too hot!!!

Actually, I noticed I do track too hot. I've had things peaking at -3, which sucks.

I'm wondering if I should ask the guys record everything again... :cry:

go to the mixer window, click "all" (at the top) and you'll see the metronome channel (blue i think) - turn it up on the fader - if its still not loud enough add logic's gain plugin, if its still not loud enough add a compressor and increase the input & output levels - done

careful though - too loud and you'll clip your soundcard and you'll have to do a reboot

if your band members cant hear it then they have lost there hearing freq's in the mid to high range. urge them to use ear plugs on stage and in venues (otherwise they wont hear anything when they come to the age of 40) - to deal with the problem open up a 31 band and eq up the mids to high's around 8dB if not more until they can hear it. sometimes on stage i've had to ask the engineers to boost my mid range on my monitor's because i've lost a good amount of it over the years from extreme audio dB's from playing too loud and not using ear protection when im working with grinders and saws on building sites

Thanks for the tips everyone! I've already turned the metronome fader all the way up and full volume from the settings. Gotta try something else.

So yeah, I noticed the guitars peak at -3 (yellow) which is probably bad. We may or may not record everything again, we'll see :D it's not like it's paid work anyway.

What would you guys say? Less headroom, or more work and learning the hard way?

By the way, I noticed today that if you have a midi track of what your guitarist is supposed to play, and have a banjo sound on that midi track it helps the guitarist keep time very well. Don't know why.

EDIT. meant -3, not -6.

If you aren't clipping you aren't peaking too high.

If you can't hear the click turn everything else down. Seriously. You don't need to re-record everything-- just pull down the faders. That's why they're there.

If you aren't clipping you aren't peaking too high.

If you can't hear the click turn everything else down. Seriously. You don't need to re-record everything-- just pull down the faders. That's why they're there.

Good to know, thanks.

use a different sampler or

double click klopfgeist and turn the tonality up and it turns more into a beep than a click and can be more audible

This... the first band I recorded with Logic complained they couldn't hear the click so I turned the tonality from .5 to like .95 and it helped immensely

and if they can't hear the click, turn everything else down from the headphones and add gain in the headphone amp

They're actually monitoring through my monitor speakers, while I have headphones on. Some of them preferred listening themselves through the speakers. I don't know if it's a bad thing, except that they obviously can't hear as well as they would wearing headphones...

But I've already ordered a headphone amp and some more headphones, I'll have them in my hands next week. I'll probably just make them use headphones :lol:

The tonality thing was a great tip, it's way more audible now. I turned tonality all the way up.

I had a similar problem, I just find the klopfgeist click to be pretty weak so I changed it to a Pro Tools style wood block that was part of the EXS24 jazz kit.

It's much easier to hear without having to add any gain and drowning out other tracks

record a vocal track where you say "tick" in time with the metronome. every once in a while say "tock." I'm here to help.