• I want to run away to Canada and escape reality

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
or...not?

NYT: Millions of men in 'prime of their lives' have dropped out of work

RAW STORY
Published: Sunday July 30, 2006

Millions of American men in the "prime of their lives" are unemployed by choice, according to a front page story set for Monday's edition of The New York Times.

"Millions of men in the prime of their lives, between 30 and 55, have dropped out of regular work," report Louis Uchitelle and David Leonhardt for The Times first article in its "New Gender Divide" series.

"They are turning down jobs they think are beneath them or are unable to find work for which they are qualified, even as an expanding economy offers opportunities to work," the article continues.

Excerpts from the Times article:

Alan Beggerow has stopped looking for work. Laid off as a steelworker at 48, he taught math for a while at a community college. But when that ended, he could not find a job that, in his view, was neither demeaning nor underpaid.

So instead of heading to work, Beggerow, now 53, fills his days with diversions: playing the piano, reading histories and biographies, writing unpublished Western potboilers in the Louis L'Amour style -- all activities once relegated to his spare time. He often stays up late and sleeps until 11 a.m.

"I have come to realize that my free time is worth a lot to me," he said. To make ends meet, he has tapped the equity in his home through a $30,000 second mortgage, and he is drawing down the family's savings, at the rate of $7,500 a year. About $60,000 is left. His wife's income helps them scrape by. "If things really get tight," Beggerow said, "I might have to take a low-wage job, but I don't want to do that."

Millions of men like Beggerow -- men in the prime of their lives, between 30 and 55 -- have dropped out of regular work. They are turning down jobs they think are beneath them or are unable to find work for which they are qualified.

About 13 percent of American men in this age group are not working, up from 5 percent in the late 1960s. The difference represents 4 million men who would be working today if the employment rate had remained where it was in the 1950s and '60s.

Are you employed sir?

Employed...?

You don't go around looking for a job dressed like that, do ya? On a weekday?

Is this a... weekday?

Is this guy drawing any government benefits?

If he is, then he shouldn't.

If he is not, then HE SHOULD BE A ROLE MODEL FOR PEOPLE.

Why the fuck should you work if you don't have to? Working is a means to an end, not an end unto itself.

I love how this article takes the stance that everything he's doing is a waste of time and somehow contemptible because it's not money-earning.

TMZ has four pages of the original report prepared by the arresting officer in the case, L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy James Mee. According to the report, Gibson became agitated after he was stopped on Pacific Coast Highway and told he was to be detained for drunk driving Friday morning in Malibu. The actor began swearing uncontrollably. Gibson repeatedly said, "My life is fucked." Law enforcement sources say the deputy, worried that Gibson might become violent, told the actor that he was supposed to cuff him but would not, as long as Gibson cooperated. As the two stood next to the hood of the patrol car, the deputy asked Gibson to get inside. Deputy Mee then walked over to the passenger door and opened it. The report says Gibson then said, "I'm not going to get in your car," and bolted to his car. The deputy quickly subdued Gibson, cuffed him and put him inside the patrol car.

TMZ has learned that Deputy Mee audiotaped the entire exchange between himself and Gibson, from the time of the traffic stop to the time Gibson was put in the patrol car, and that the tape fully corroborates the written report.

Once inside the car, a source directly connected with the case says Gibson began banging himself against the seat. The report says Gibson told the deputy, "You mother fucker. I'm going to fuck you." The report also says "Gibson almost continually [sic] threatened me saying he 'owns Malibu' and will spend all of his money to 'get even' with me."

The report says Gibson then launched into a barrage of anti-Semitic statements: "Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

haha what a joke

agreed with jimLookOutTenFlyingPenguins on the first point...although i also have to ask what his wife has to say about this...not really fair for her to support both of them if she doesn't want to

my only thought is: what about retirement? if he's blowing all his cash now, wtf is he gonna have left then? and if he has kids, the poor fuckers get left with fuck all?

otherwise, go for it

If I didn't have to work, I would not. I love people that say "if I won the lottery, I'd still show up to work" because I point and laugh at their completely pointless existences. Actual conversation I heard at a business dinner once:

"I'm thinking about retiring next year."
*chokes* "RETIRE?!?! If you don't work, what would you do?!?!"

I nearly slapped him.

If someone truly believes they can have a meaningful existence being willfully unemployed and having a very limited source of income, I won't argue, but I would never encourage someone discouraged enough with the job market to resign himself to letting whatever useful abilities he might have go to waste.

Yes, people that love their job so much that they would do it even if they had infinite income are horrible.

/sarcasm.

If the guy had no-one dependent on him, then he would be my hero, but you have certain responsibilities when you have a wife and children and aren't very rich.

Well, his relationship with his wife is his business. If his wife hates him not working, that situation is going to correct itself sooner or later. It's not like the article as cut and pasted, and obviously biased against enjoying life ("scrape by"? My god, maybe are they only not working, but also not buying useless shit on a regular basis! THE GODDAMN COMMIES), lets us know how she feels. Maybe she loves her job and also enjoys reading Louis L'Amour knockoff novels. Maybe she believes he'll be published and is supportive of his efforts. That would be a fuckin' miracle, wouldn't it? Seems more tolerable than the cliche girlfriend-supports-rockstar-wannabe-trying-to-"make it" scenario.

don't get me wrong, I've got NOTHING against someone following their muse...but where I was coming from was this idea that some work is somehow beneath this guy....look at RiA, I believe he said he was down for a while and he had to struggle to keep moving forward, honest work is honest work, no matter what the pay scale. And yeah, if this guy's wife is happy enough carrying dead weight in their relationship, more power to her, maybe she's pulling down 250,000 per year and doesn't care.

Goddam liberal trade unionist pampering of the proletariat :loco: