"fuck retirement"

yeah, these people that say "if i won the lottery, i'd still work" crack me up. seriously, are you that unimaginative?

Hahahaha.

blackmetalgrandparentsvq1.jpg

dorian gray said:
I was quoting Raising Arizona but anyway, my days off can get pretty boring so I sometimes look forward to going to work. It's not like I'm young and single like you fags and can just drive off into the desert [/nad]. And my day-off routine (excluding baby care) of reading, watching movies, and exercising is getting a tad stale.
your life sounds like it sucks more than anyone else's on the forum

Being financially independent means you can do things with little consequence. Turn your interests into a full time activity without having to worry about making a living off of them.

But first, I'd be happy just to be mortgage free. That's an extra $2k in my pocket each month.

I guess it comes down to whether or not you like your job. I intend to open a small cigar store when I retire (somewhere in the Carribean). I'll probably work 20 hours a week. Go in, light up a cigar, schmooze the customers, talk shop, etc. Not exactly back-breaking, stressfull work.

Zod

zod that sounds nice, i have a feeling you have a rather optimistic idea of the amount of time and effort it takes to run a business...maybe not, you probably have a better idea than i do

cthulufhtagn said:
i have a feeling you have a rather optimistic idea of the amount of time and effort it takes to run a business...maybe not, you probably have a better idea than i do
I think I have a rather decent understanding. My mother and grandparents owned and operated two children's clothing stores for about 18 years. I saw the time and effort that went into it. I don't plan on handling the day to day running of the store after the first two years. And if I can't get it to the point, where I can afford to have someone else manage it, then I'll close it or sell it.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Being financially independent means you can do things with little consequence. Turn your interests into a full time activity without having to worry about making a living off of them.

But first, I'd be happy just to be mortgage free. That's an extra $2k in my pocket each month.

Both of these are among my goals in life. As far as retirement goes, I would ideally like to keep working until I grow senile, but of course I'll have to wait another thirty years to definitively answer that one...

Wtf, even when I was unemployed and socialized very little with other people, I didn't have enough time on my hands to do what I felt like. As it is here in Sweden, beeing unemployed is not a too bad life economically, even though that's about to change it seems. If you happen to live in the capital the pressure from the authorities is much greater compared to the same situation in a smaller town, where you can actually live pretty comfortably. But seriously, I'm half considering working only half time and thus get a rotten pension, but it'd be worth it... as long as I stay single and unmarried :err:

I figure if I just try to keep my expenses constant, regardless of income, I ought to be alright, since I've never in my life has had very much money. It's a bad idea to adopt new habits (eg new patterns of consumtion) when your income increases since that traps you in an overly material lifestyle which very quickly becomes the norm. In short: time > money

So. I'm 35 and "own" a god damn house. I've always envisioned retiring at 50 because fuck work. In order to do that I have to start putting away a lot more money than I currently do. Any tips/tricks about retirement funds, other than finding a nice cushy state job and sucking off the gubmint teat?
It's not like I'm young and single like you fags and can just drive off into the desert [/nad].
Just sayin' my dad still does this as well and he's 66. His hair is also longer than mine... and he too drives a god damn Chrysler.

My dad just retired and is bored as hell. He's also a multi millionaire so the do-anything-you-want-if-youve-got-money argument apparently doesnt apply

Can he send me half of his money? I'm from Nigeria, my wife has a super rare disease and I will repay in full with interests once access to my secret funds in Switzerland is unlocked.

I'll take only 10% and in exchange will send him amusing photographs of my whacky adventures, purely for the entertainment factor. A small fee to help him avoid boredom.

I think I've decided that instead of changing careers, saving more money, or hocking all that I own to become a day trader, I'm just going to sell the house in 20 years and move to an obscure village in Sweden/Montana/Uruguay.

Any tips/tricks about retirement funds, other than finding a nice cushy state job and sucking off the gubmint teat? .
I finally started up a ROTH IRA after procrastinating on the matter for years. Sick of seeing my paltry savings get eaten up by 2.5% inflation every year.

Match emp contribution for 401k/403b, max out Roth, die by the age of 68, and ye should be good to go.