Long songs

harvest_moon

The Progmaster General
Nov 15, 2004
are really cool in my opinion, its one of the things that first attracted me to Opeth when i saw the song length mentioned in a review (amongst other things) I really think that Mikeal just woulkd not be able to express himslef as well as he does if the songs where any shorter. but some people dont like longies, so what do yo guys reckon

It's been part of their style since the early 90's. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. Although on the later albums it's felt very forced, almost as if they're trying to squeeze those extra riffs to push it over the 10 minute mark.

I prefer long songs to short songs, I'd rather have an album with 4 or 5 excellent long songs than 13/4 ok short songs.

we... i don't really care if a song is long or short... the only thing that i care is about the feeling that the song produces me... for instance: although songs such as "In My Time of Need" and "Black Rose" Immortal are quite different from each other... one is more like verse-chorus-verse, and the other has a different structure, and i just thank that a song is good, not if it's long or short.

The first Opeth CD I bought blind (Still Life). The logo, the cover and the songs titles and duration were my criteria to get it.

I think Opeth have actually managed to handle long songs a lot better in the later albums, where in the first two, they where mainly long lines of different parts, the later albums, espec bwp have a lot of repeated parts which tie the song together more and make it sound like a really long song and not loads of songs stuck together. Not sayin that the early albums are bad or anything!

Honestly, it took some getting used to for me to be able to stand a song as long as 10 minutes. Now, though, I don't think they'd be who they are without those long songs. They've always done it, so if it stopped now, it'd be quite strange. On the same token, if a band like Katatonia were to start writing 10 minute songs with their new era sound, it'd be weird.

Thats one of the things that attracted me to Opeth too. I love long songs; some of my favorite songs are very long. Symphony X's Odyssey, Opeth's songs of course, Iced Earth's Dante's Infero, Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner for example.

there's something inherent in opeth's style that necessitates long songs...i couldn't imagine chopping off any parts of any songs to shorten them. some other styles of music short songs are a good thing though, or it just gets repetetive...slayer for example. i'm going to see slayer and mastodon on sunday! woo! :headbang:

naboo said:
Thats one of the things that attracted me to Opeth too. I love long songs; some of my favorite songs are very long. Symphony X's Odyssey, Opeth's songs of course, Iced Earth's Dante's Infero, Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner for example.

Three awesome songs right there :headbang:

Well if you guys like love songs you should check out the bands Failure and HUM, they're are both very spacey and psychdellic, two of my fav bands of all time. Their songs are about 4-7 minutes long.

As for Opeth, yeah the long songs are what they are!