Deliverance should have more songs

Originally posted by Demons Sabbath
Its not subjective. A Fair Judgement has simple riffs on it. Aint i right ? Thats why everyone loves this song first from album. You quickly understand the feeling of judgement if u just listened at least 2 times. But i cant say the same thing for other songs. You have to listen many times to understand the whole song. So this the part of fun in music.
So judgement has no fun in this situtation, cause u already got that...

And a standard cd can take over 70 mins, so one song would not make any problem.

All of Orchid has 'simple' (imaginative, true but not very technical) riffs on it... that doesn't mean it makes it any less intriguing to myself. I don't understand why you picked A Fair Judgement to label a simple song out of all the others... to me it's the most refreshing, as it doesn't sound like metal in the traditional sense at all and I find it to be my favourite song from Deliverance. If you've noticed, all the songs on the album drone out and if anything Wreath and Deliverance are the 'simple' songs as some of those riffs are repeated 3480932403274 times with no variation whatsoever. I don't really see what sets A Fair Judgement apart from the rest in terms of 'simplicity'.

To me, A Fair Judgement has more atmosphere than any other song on the album, despite being quite simple and I am still intrigued by it after about 10 listens to Deliverance as a whole and alot more listens to it as an individual song. So yes, I do stick by my claim that what you're saying is completely subjective.

As far as lenght goes... meh, I suppose they couldn't find the time and effort to write one last song? It doesn't matter much to me as I have CDs that go for almost half the time that Deliverance does, so I'm happy with what I've got.

Originally posted by Moonlapse
All of Orchid has 'simple' (imaginative, true but not very technical) riffs on it... that doesn't mean it makes it any less intriguing to myself. I don't understand why you picked A Fair Judgement to label a simple song out of all the others... to me it's the most refreshing, as it doesn't sound like metal in the traditional sense at all and I find it to be my favourite song from Deliverance. If you've noticed, all the songs on the album drone out and if anything Wreath and Deliverance are the 'simple' songs as some of those riffs are repeated 3480932403274 times with no variation whatsoever. I don't really see what sets A Fair Judgement apart from the rest in terms of 'simplicity'.

To me, A Fair Judgement has more atmosphere than any other song on the album, despite being quite simple and I am still intrigued by it after about 10 listens to Deliverance as a whole and alot more listens to it as an individual song. So yes, I do stick by my claim that what you're saying is completely subjective.

Thank fucking god someone on here thinks the same way I do about this album (almost verbatim to the opinions of the songs I've formulated in my head, it's kinda freaky actually)

*Sigh Of Relief*

Originally posted by Moonlapse

As far as lenght goes... meh, I suppose they couldn't find the time and effort to write one last song? It doesn't matter much to me as I have CDs that go for almost half the time that Deliverance does, so I'm happy with what I've got.

hmm perhaps u r right. but my mind didnt change about more songs ! :cry:

To me Deliverance actually seems a lot shorter than, for example, Blackwater Park. Interesting is that I use to think A Fair Judgement is much shorter than the other songs when it's actually only 11 seconds shorter than Master's Apprentices and less than a minute shorter than Wreath.
The perception of the length of a song can be very subjective, and if a long song seems short it's usually a sign that it is rather well-composed.

First of all the riffs on Deliverance are NOT any more 'simple' than the other Opeth stuff. And even if they were, that is absolutely no reason to despise the album. The CD clocks in at over 60 minutes, which is a pretty long running time, IMO.

"A Fair Judgement" is by no means boring, by the way. It is one of the best Opeth ballads I've heard. Mikael's delivery on that song is beyond awesome, an the short instrumental track didn't bother me at all either.

Deliverance isn't the first Opeth album with six tracks on it, there weren't 12 songs on Orchid or Morningrise either. I personally could care less about the number of tracks on a disc, what I care about it is the songwriting and Opeth definitely delivers on that front.

On a side note, my criteria to dig or hate a song doesn't depend on its complexity. To say "this song is nice but simple" brings to mind you don't want to like it because it's structurally not complex enough for you. That is like some progheads won't listen to anything else except their fave prog bands, because no one else is as technical as they are.

I couldn't disagree more with this point of view to say the least. A simple song can still have a lot more depth than the most complex song ever written. It's about how you connect with it, how it was written and how much it reflects the feeling, not what it takes to play or sing the song.

A Fair Judgement does ruin the flow of the album, so I can see where you are coming from. But it is a spectacular song (except for the ending which I don't like). I think the flow of this album is something that is really hurt. You have two relatively typical songs, then two slower songs, then two more creative odd songs. Unlike Blackwater Park or My Arms Your Hearse which flow flawlessly.

hmm yes the album does seem to have 3 acts in it, with 2 songs divided into each part but I suppose that's why it's another experimental thing.. I think Opeth are still screwing around with different sounds as opposed to trying to find something that flows as well as the 2 concept albums.

Blackwater park is in essence more convoluted than deliverence. However, blackwater park is writen in a more "song written" format than deliverence, which seems to be an album of composistions.

I'm not saying that BWP was necessarily a verse chorus verse affair, however it was certainly more straightforward, in terms of form, than D.

In truth, i think delieverence is a perfect album, it manages to step away and beyond BWP in terms of the music itself, which is something one would have thought difficult, given the high standard of BWP.

Can't wait for Damnation personally. ;)

I hear you, Hopkins. BWP is a more fortright album, there's more focus on the song itself, while Deliverance is an album that works as a whole, rather than song by song.