Look what I've found!

That's awesome, I've wanted the same tattoo myself, if I'll get one at all. But not the full name, just the O...

Regarding the "Never take a band tattoo" -argument, I think I must reply with my thoughts on the issue.

I have a Dark Tranquillity -tattoo on my chest (the old D-above-T logo) and spent many days thinking whether or not I should take it. Finally, I had it made half a year ago and have not regretted it since - maybe I will someday, but that's impossible to know now. My main point is: this tattoo of mine tells of me, my thoughts and tastes in year 2002 - if my mind changes through time, then it shall. It won't be such a big deal - I still have something on my skin that reminds me of these times (when Dark Tranquillity was an excellent band and their music meant a lot to me).

After all, even if I had a different kind of tattoo, something that I had designed myself and thought as great today, I could change my mind tomorrow - I know many people who regret their self-designed tattoos, yet I can well imagine someone who has a Slayer-tattoo watch him/herself in the mirror and smile as (s)he remembers those days gone by. And I think that is the whole meaning of a tattoo.

-Villain

Personally I wouldn't get any tattoos that say something... If I'd ever get a tattoo, it should be more like an ornament, I don't want to run around like a living advertisement and I don't want to have some message on my body with which I might disagree one day. So the Opeth-"O" or some similar design would be fine. But I don't think I'm gonna get a tattoo anytime soon anyway.

But if you want it, by all means do it! Like Dvoters said, you only live once...

well, again, don't look at this as a band tatoo. i just love this one, even if i didn't know them, i would still think it's beautiful.
and i also think that everything (now it's a tatoo) symbolizes some period in my life. and in the last few years Opeth did it.
Opeth influenced me a-lot!!! and they are still doing it..

but this is me and i don't expect anyone to understand it or to think the same as i think. :)

Originally posted by mindflesh
Personally I wouldn't get any tattoos that say something... If I'd ever get a tattoo, it should be more like an ornament, I don't want to run around like a living advertisement

That's true. But I have the impression people overrate a tattoo. It's just a drawing on your body and if you regret that later I think you put too much weight on the fact.
An Opeth tattoo may sound risky, but

1° An Opeth logo ( 'O' ) is ornamental enough to set it for the ornament itself (if you happen to lose interest in the band later).

2° No one necessarely sees it (when it's e.g. on your back in the cold seasons)

3° Removal technology is fully available

4° I don't think you'll ever be ashamed to have their logo drawn on your body :)

P.S.: Sorry for digging up old topics, but I'm new here so I still have to find my way in here :)