Looking for a good metal bass...

Jan 7, 2009
Looking for a good metal bass that I might be able to find used for between 250 - 350 US dollars that I can use to record with (I am a guitarist in my band but I track demos). Any opinions on the Ibanez SR 500?

i've messed around with the SR500/505 a bit, and to me they seem like the best buy out there for less than $600 or so

i actually almost bought a used SR505 for $350 the other day, but i'm holding out on finding a 500 instead, because i prefer to play a 4-string

If you can test them in a store, try to get your hands on a Rockbass made by Warwick. Good Instruments, Fair Price, awesome sound.

If you can test them in a store, try to get your hands on a Rockbass made by Warwick. Good Instruments, Fair Price, awesome sound.

+1

Or a Spector.

Warwick and Spector= Fender pwnage(mixing wise)

The Fender Jazz looks so corny I would be embarrassed to use it for recording even :D

Warwick is da bomb! The Corvette series is very good. I recently borrowed a 4 string
to record an album and I was very impressed. I want a 5 string though.

Budgetwise, you should also check out Wasburn.
I had a XB-120 a few years back and I got a pretty good tone from it.

I just got this:
5416_239237905380_528925380_8025403_8246629_n.jpg

Cost me a bit much, $400 used/shipped with gig bag, I'm sure you could do better, but I really liked the color. It sounds AWESOME.

I picked up a Schecter Omen5 off ebay for something like $285 shipped with only a small nick in the headstock... Its a great bass for the money when it comes to a good rumble, perfect for metal, IMO.

I also have a 6 string Ibanez, 4 string Mockingbird, and a few other basses laying around that I use in my band. I would definitely say the Schecter takes takes the cake for metal in compared to those ones. The mockingbird has a great sound, very heavy in the midbass area, but the neck dive makes it not so great for live play. The Ibanez was great for the money for a 6 string, but probably the least on my list in terms of tone, but still gets used a lot regardless.

Was temped to test out the Studio5 when I saw one at Guitar Center the other day for $800... but I already knew I would have wanted it and didn't really need to spend any more money on any more basses :D

actually, here is another one (I got the natrual wood color myself)
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-OMEN-5...itar?hash=item1e57eda414&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14