Looking for a (real) bass amp for direct recording - need advice :)

CronosBeyond

Apr 5, 2007
Germany
www.far-beyond.com
Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a new bass amp. Main operation should be direct recording with a little 2x10 or 1x10 connected for monitoring. No live usage and/or loud volumes requiered.

I play/record mainly in the metal sector and need a clear sound that does not lack character. I know that's a vague description :D

I'm playing a Warwick Corvette Standard with 5 strings. The amps I used till now were a "Gallien Krueger Fusion 550" and an "Ampeg SVT-7 Pro". The GK was far to sterile and clean, I found it boring and soul-lacking. The Ampeg was a bit better, but it also was too sterile for my taste.

Until today I receive better sounds for my taste with VST plugins like Studio Devil Virtual Bass Amp. They give me a woody and natural sound, not lacking punch and clarity.

So perhaps someone could give me recommendations what Amp could fit my style/taste :)

I have this list of candidates now and it's not possible for me to test them all. I need them at home for a few days to play around and learn how they feel and sound (especially in the mix):

- EBS Reidmar
- Orange Bass Terror 500
- Mesa Carbine M3
- Warwick WA300
- Ashdown ABM 500 Evo III

What I've heard so far from these Amps could fit my taste, but perhaps someone has personal experiences with one of those or some other candidates not on my list :) A pure preamp is no option because I want to monitor my playing over a real cabinet and not through my monitors :)