Need advice for a new amp

Sora01

how do mix ¯\(°_o)/¯
Oct 7, 2008
Aberdeen
Hey guys,

My 5150 II has bitten the dust i think

To start with it was blowing fuses, i replaced all the valves, that stopped that problem.

Few months later it blew a pre amp valve...ok. changed it, litrally an hour later its blow another TWO pre amp valves :/

I think its pretty screwed, its gave me nothing but trouble since ive gotten it.

Anyway im wanting some suggestions for a decent tight metal amp. tone im after is something like. icarus lives tone by bulb.

Obviously cant get bang on (and wouldnt want to copy someone elses tone anyway) as I dont have £2000 for an engl invader. My max would be £1000 for a head, maybe a tad more if needed.

Thanks in advance :)

:worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
lol are you reccomending the recto? :lol:

its £1700 new here :(

For the dual recto anyway, and ive heard the single isint as good.

alright, i guess ill just wait for one to pop up on the bay, i need it real soon as I have a crap load of gigs coming up. ive had a go of one a while ago, liked it, but my ears are alot more expierienced now. as long as its tight, im sure ill be satisfied with it. also i already a tubescreamer, :) thanks

Btw any more suggestions are still welcome.

Take your 5150 to a good tech. Get it diagnosed and fixed. Get the bias out of crossover distortion, put in a new output tranny (Mercury Magnetics Axiom) and you'll have a hell of a 5150 II. I did all this to mine and couldn't be happier. Clips to follow.