Looking for opinions on a gear upgrade (monitors, mic pre, compressor)

AEL89

Jan 22, 2009
Right now I'm looking at a pair of Adam A8Xs (just went to listen so them today - amazing), an Empirical Labs EL-9 and a Hafler 9303 for my NS10s.

Other stuff I've considered is some 500 series modules to build my own channel strip but that would probably come at the expense of the Hafler amp.

Obviously this is a hefty order so I really wanted some opinions or suggestions before I pull the trigger. I've got about £3k but could stretch a little further if need be. A channel strip is definitely top of the list... comp and pre at least.

Hey man! I was in the same boat a few months ago...
I started my homestudio with Presonus Stuff and ESI near...I had a lot of mid range gear....but a thing changed the day I say: Fuck off, I´m gonna spend 4000€ and take something hi end....and man DAY AND NIGHT
I bought Adam´s A7X (enough amount of bass in there for a 7"), RME ADI2 as a converter, Distressor EL8X, Chandler Germanium and Neumann TLM 103...my god...they all worth the money I´ve spent!!

My advice is: Take stuff that is highly recomended and contrasted here, like distressor, SM7b, RME, etc and you shall experiment and automatic improve in your recordings/mixes....
Cheers!

I vote for a distressor, amazing comp!! :err:

and what about room treatement? don't even think about changing your monitor if you don't have proper room treatement

Yeh my room is treated. The reason I was looking at the mike-e was because of its compsat feature... A lot like a distressor but paired with a great pre. I've pulled the trigger on it all now anyway!