looking for some bass tones....

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Looking for just some bass without anything else so i have something to really look at on eq freq and have some tones to aim for :headbang:

Anyone have some good clips of just bass they would post for download??

^ if u're just starting out i would recommend just going DI alone

Saves u the guesswork of micing/phase/settings/blending the 2 tracks blah blah blah

add good compression/eq a bit and u're guaranteed a useable bass tone

To find good bass tone , just listen to how the bass sits in with the guitars and drums , in a metal context i feel that a good bass tone is one that supports and fills up the gap between the kick drum and the higher mids of the guitars

but when soloed on it's own can sound pretty bad.

good luck !

yea i have benn having trouble with bass filling up some lows and stuff and just not being able to eq and stuff so i really wanted to get a few bass tones people use and get a general idea of some bass tones!

I used a guitar tone as a reference and was able to have something to aim toward and then make my own. I really think i need to do the same with bass but yea i know its a whole different game in the mix but i at least want a starting point and then i can tweak it into my mixes!!

So anyone who don't mind i would love some solo bass tracks :saint:

I'll try to post both the DI and reamped (Ampeg SVT-3 Pro > Peavey 810 TVX > d6 > Neve Preamp) samples when I get to the studio tonight. I think a good bass tone is one that makes you just want to listen to drums and bass alone. When we were setting up our mixes for the album, we started with drums, then layered in the bass, then brought in the guitars, then all the extras. It was a great way to ensure that everything sounded perfect, and it made sure that the guitars weren't too muddy on the low end, since the bass already had that covered.

cheers,
Richard "doc" :headbang: