Looking for Someone to Mix/Master A Single

Oct 9, 2012
Houston TX
My band just put out our EP a month ago and now we're planning on recording a new single in the next few weeks.

Just looking for someone to mix/master and maybe slightly edit since this will just be a single and not part of an EP. Basically since this is like a single and we'll re-record this song for the EP at the end of summer I have a budget of $50-$75 to do this.

Drums are programmed but we'll bounce each of the drums separately and provide a midi file and tempo info.

Will provide Di's for Left Guitar, Right Guitar, Leads, Bass and processed Versions as well.

Recording Guitars section by section.

Song isn't tracked yet but i'm putting this out to start getting an idea of who would be interested in mixing this.

Here's our last EP for reference
http://awaitthedesolation.bandcamp.com/

Really guys? Edit mix and master for $50-75!? And I thought I was cheap!

Agreed, I didn't want to be the first to say it so I just ignored :Spin:

We've discussed this a million times in this forum, doing this amount of work for this amount of money just helps reinforce to musicians that recording is cheap and a producer's time is worth little to nothing. Every time someone does this kind of job, a pro gets criticized for being "way too expensive, that shouldn't cost that much!!!" by a musician asking for budgets.

Agreed, I didn't want to be the first to say it so I just ignored :Spin:

We've discussed this a million times in this forum, doing this amount of work for this amount of money just helps reinforce to musicians that recording is cheap and a producer's time is worth little to nothing. Every time someone does this kind of job, a pro gets criticized for being "way too expensive, that shouldn't cost that much!!!" by a musician asking for budgets.

It's almost a rip-off, I hope everyone gets it. Taking that into account I still want the job myself ( not that I got it, I haven't received any messages of getting it :D ) because it's a job after all.
And it might earn me more work from the person offering the job or it [ might earn me more work if I'd include it in my portfolio.

Your text just put words on the thoughts of possibly everyone inquiring for the job. :D

This is basically a pre-pro single not like it's actually getting used on the EP. We're going to a big studio at the end of summer to record the full thing. Why would I want to blow $200 for mixing on one song that isn't gonna be on the final version?

Taking the amount of work into account (editing, mixing, mastering, all kinds of tweaking etc), 200$ would be realistic fee for the process.
Cheapest "serious" studio (that I know of and I've browsed MANY) around here in Finland is 20€/hour (27$) and a day is the basic in lenght, 8 hours.
If someone was to edit, mix, master and tweak the song with constantly focused ears etc, 8 hours is barely enough IMO (if you really want to be sure and the tracks aren't considered as useable of quality right away).

So, 8 times 27 dollars is 216$. That is still cheap considering the amount of work. You pay for what you want.

If you just want to release a prepro-single why not do it yourselves, if you're able to? Would save you the money.

True I could do it myself, but I dont have all of the time to do that with a full time job and 2 active bands. It's hard to even get my guitarist to use the off day from rehearsals to come track. But there's not even gonna be much editing involved. I just threw the minor editing part in there incase something was a little off. I don't have all of the time to mix/master this the way I would want to which is why i was seeing if anyone was interested.

And for all curious minds to who've i've picked...well you'll find out soon enough ;)

Also I wasn't asking for anyone with the "will putney" or "andy sneap" ears to mix it. Maybe there's someone who's building their portfolio and needed a new client to boost their horizons

True I could do it myself, but I dont have all of the time to do that with a full time job and 2 active bands. It's hard to even get my guitarist to use the off day from rehearsals to come track. But there's not even gonna be much editing involved. I just threw the minor editing part in there incase something was a little off. I don't have all of the time to mix/master this the way I would want to which is why i was seeing if anyone was interested.

And for all curious minds to who've i've picked...well you'll find out soon enough ;)

Also I wasn't asking for anyone with the "will putney" or "andy sneap" ears to mix it. Maybe there's someone who's building their portfolio and needed a new client to boost their horizons

Fair enough, you do have a ton of other activities already. :D

Hope the song will turn out great - whoever does it! :)

This is basically a pre-pro single not like it's actually getting used on the EP. We're going to a big studio at the end of summer to record the full thing. Why would I want to blow $200 for mixing on one song that isn't gonna be on the final version?

For the person doing the mix it's exactly the same process, time and amount of effort no matter if it's a single, album track or if you're never gonna release it. It makes no difference to the person doing the job. I won't say more, there is clearly no hope in getting some dignitiy back into the business at this point. I'm a beginner, I work for cheap, but I would never mix one song for $75. I'm out.

It's almost a rip-off, I hope everyone gets it. Taking that into account I still want the job myself ( not that I got it, I haven't received any messages of getting it :D ) because it's a job after all.
And it might earn me more work from the person offering the job or it [ might earn me more work if I'd include it in my portfolio.

If you want portfolio/practice stuff you can grab countless multitracks from around here and other sites, without fueling the dellusion that this kind of work isn't "real" work, hence no real pay.
OR do it for FREE without a price tag attached to it.

And about the it "might" part: 9 out of 10 times, it won't.
I've seen it first and by dudes crashing around here, they basically couldn't raise the rates on bands they've worked with before, if they even came back.
I think it was because people don't get a lot of trust in the professionalism of an engineer, when they can fuck him in the ass for cheap AND get a blowjob on top of that for free too.

Sure you won't start out charging the same as people with more equipment and experience, but have some dignity for fucks sake.

For the person doing the mix it's exactly the same process, time and amount of effort no matter if it's a single, album track or if you're never gonna release it. It makes no difference to the person doing the job.

I thought the same, funny enough to say "nah my time is too precious to find some and spend it on my bands production" and then expecting someone else to work on it below minimum wage :lol:

I think the OP knows perfectly that for that price he's not gonna get the seasoned engineers in this forum interested. He just wants a quick decent sounding mix for cheap, and I believe there's a lot of people in this forum willing to do it.
I start getting upset about things like these when a band wants a full blown production at $100/song, but in this case it's one song for prepro, who cares? Let the new guys get a quick job.

If you want portfolio/practice stuff you can grab countless multitracks from around here and other sites, without fueling the dellusion that this kind of work isn't "real" work, hence no real pay.
OR do it for FREE without a price tag attached to it.

Sure you won't start out charging the same as people with more equipment and experience, but have some dignity for fucks sake.

Don't know if this was directed straight at me, but I just wanted to say, that I have started AE many years before I've joined the forums (after a couple years of sneaking in the forums) and I'm aware (and I agree) of everything you said. And I believe almost everyone knows about the practice stuff for Ie. growing portfolio here. Plus the might-part was just extra. :)

For the person doing the mix it's exactly the same process, time and amount of effort no matter if it's a single, album track or if you're never gonna release it. It makes no difference to the person doing the job.

+100 :D