Looking into a carvin DC727 help/suggestions

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Hey guys,

for a while now I've been thinking about getting a new 7string guitar. I'm seriously considering a carvin DC727 and I have some questions.
First, what can you tell me about them? quality, playability, pros, cons, etc. It's certain that even if I decide to get one I won't have a chance to play one before I get mine. That's no huge problem for me since I find a can easily adapt to different style guitars, still, I'd like to know how it plays compared to a schecter C7 blackjack (which I own).

Most people agree that the pick ups are shit so I'm planning to change them if I get one. However I've heard that there's need for heavy routing in order to install different pick ups, is that true? I'm talking about regular passive pickups not EMGs.

Then there are the wood choices... I'm definitely not an expert on this. I have a seymour duncan JB/59 set laying around from the schecter which I'll probably install on the carvin. They're kinda muddy and dark (I think) so I'm going with a little brighter sounding woods. I'm thinking about maple neck/ swamp ash body and maple freboard. Any suggestions/comments on this?

Finally one thing that worries me is the 25.5" scale neck. I only have experience with my schecter's longer scale so I'm not sure what to expect. For strings I plan to use a 10-52 set and a 70 for the 7th and I tune to Bb. Besides the string tension is there going to be any serious differences? Is the 25.5" scale going to cause any problems with intonation or something?

Any help will be appreciated.

I LOOOVVVEEE my dc727!!! My DC727, Loomis Fixed Bridge, and Conklin 8 string are my main guitars.

I doubt you would have to any routing for any pickup other than an EMG.

+1

I have the Loomis and the DC727. Both are great guitars!
Playing wise I don't feel too much difference between the 25.5" & 26.5" scale.

Both guitars sound different. (My main DC727 has a mahogany/maple body and a maple neck).

I am not sure about the routing for regular passive pickups.

There really is not a huge difference between the Loomis and the Carvin for me. The access to the higher frets is much better on the carvin IMO. The string spacing seems a little more narrow on the carvin as well.

The quality of carvin guitars is quite awesome. I would not be worried at all

I played on a fixed bridge 747 (only difference is it's H-S-H, not H-H) about 8 years ago and it was pretty awesome. You will not need to route for pickups unless you go with EMG's or the SD Blackouts that are sized just like the EMG's: they are the only ones that require this. SD Blackouts also come in the same size as passives so you at least have a choice there if you did end up wanting to go active.

I owned at DC727 at one time, and it was excellent. You will not be disappointed. Carvin guitars are top-notch, and the pickups aren't as bad as people make them out to be. And JB/59 combos are anything but dark! Both are really bright pickups. Swamp Ash is probably a good body wood choice. Mahagony is a bit too bassy for the lower 7-string tunings, IMO.

My dc727 is my favorite seven string guitar...I own 4 (including custom shop bc rich)....mine is all mahogany with a quilt maple top and ebony fingerboard...Carvins tend to be bright to begin with, so the mahogany helps out if anything, no low end problems at all on mine, I have duncan custom and jazz pickups...tone wise, it is very similar to my les paul (with same pickups) ..mine came with the tung oil finish on the back of the neck...that is the best part about it....I can play that thing all day...Whatever you do, get the tung oil on the back of the neck, it is so worth it..As for tuning, I never have intonation problems with mine, stays in tune all the time, the sperzel tuners kick ass, they really use top notch parts all the way, just the pickups suck.... btw... kala xpristougenna kai kali xpwnia... Eimai Ellino-Amerikanos

Thanks guys for the replies...

I'm really...reeeally close to getting one but there's one thing holding me back. Despite what you people say I've found out that everyone claims that routing is necessary even with regular passive pick ups. I decided to ask carvin on that particular subject and here's the answer I got:

If you replace the pick ups with another brand, there be be some slight modifications to the pick up cavity that will be necessary.
...which kinda sucks...I already plan to spend a significant amount of money for the guitar and seems that I will also need to pay for a professional to do some routing so the pick ups can fit. I guess the stock pick ups won't necessarily be that awful but I'm pretty sure at one time I will want to change them.

mrhankey87 and grkmetlhed : was routing necessary when your replaced your pick ups?

grkmetlhed: Yes the tung oil on the neck is an option I've already decided to get! Kala xristoygenna kai kales giortes kai se sena, na sai kala...

I just got my first dc727 Wednesday. It's the nicest guitar I've ever played. Feels great. The neck is very similar to my ltd sc607b. The Shorter scale isn't really a big deal, it's alot easier to play than the 27in scale on the ltd.