Lost Soul reviews online

Lost Soul – Chaostream
Wicked World – January 24th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

Minute details can definitely work in favor of the band that uses said peculiarities. For instance, as is the case with Chaostream, the fact that the actual CD resembles a vinyl LP – all black with ridges on the front side – is enough to put me in a good mood even before I pop the album in. Similarly, Lost Soul’s brand of blistering death metal, though formulaic, contains enough quality to be considered good but expendable.

Along the same line of reasoning, I didn’t think the group would waste any time presenting their iteration of death metal, and “Word of Sin” proves the former statement rather quickly. Everything is very fast; the musicians are all overtly talented and, at times, remind me of Zyklon, Decapitated, Behemoth or any death metal troupe in the same vein stylistically. “Godstate” has a galloping feel to its entrance, but is content to venture into a place that’s already been explored. However, I do like the subtle changes in “Death Crowns All” such as the speed of the double-bass juxtaposed with the dragging rhythm of the hi-hat. The riffs should be relatively well received, but they aren’t anything to write home about (to use a cliché). Of course, requisite guitar leads traipse about a bit later. “Shameful Race,” “The Hidden Law,” and “Mortal Cage” do not veer from a speed-infused death metal sound. The cheekily titled “Christian Meat” is absurdly slow for Lost Soul, though nothing specifically detracts from the opus’s worth. “Angel’s Cry” and “The Birth of BABALON” endorse the trend, which is quite up-front on Chaostream. To reiterate, it’s not as if there’s bad material here. It’s just not up to speed (heh) with the virtuosos in the genre.

I’ll recommend Chaostream for those of you that fancy an album that’s basically been released before. Others’ interests would best be invested elsewhere. Furthermore, acknowledging Lost Soul’s superb labelmates – such as The Chasm and Anata – only conjures further discouragement.

7.5/10

from http://www.thecommunion.co.uk

Lost Soul
Chaostream
Release Date: 17th January on Earache

written by Alex

Lost Soul have been around forever, and have worked hard to get where they
are right now. Having already produced albums for Osmose productions and
Relapse (who clearly did fuck all for this awesome band) Lost Soul finally
find themselves on Wicked World/Earache, who at least seem to know what to do with their death metal.

Simply, Lost Soul are one to put up there with Death Du Jour, Cryptopsy,
Decapitated et al. They enter the league of death metal bands that ŒAlex
thinks are really cool‚. This obviously means fuck all to anyone but me, but
there is a definable quality across all these bands, and obviously, being
the band in question, within Lost Soul, which raises them above a lot of
other extreme metal which I consider a bag‚o‚tripe. With this sort of band
it is usually down to having great riffs and drum work that you can actually
vaguely hear/figure out as opposed to it simply going
Œrat-a-tat-tat-tat-tat‚ etcetera.

Lost Soul have these in abundance and, cleverly, inject the influence of
other genres such as doom, thrash and black metal (the good bits). This,
therefore, keeps my attention and keeps the songs in my head. The solos rule
as well ˆ screaming forth from the speakers at the most opportune moments
and not outstaying their welcome. Well done.

The artwork is the usual dodgy death crap and they all look metal and
stupid, but you can‚t have it all. One day, maybe one day?.

From, of all things, the UK Kerrang! Magazine

FAMILIARITY WITH cutting edge production techniques
and now high levels of musical prowess means that
extreme metal produces considerably fewer
oh-my-fucking-god moments than it once did, but Lost
Soul have clearly mastered the art of making music
that pins the listener to the wall with a startling,
destructive force. ‘Chaostream’ is as brutal as
anything out there, but there’s a catchiness lurking
amid the blastbeats and skin-flaying guitar work that
lifts this way above the average and into the realms
of something very special indeed. Like fellow Poles
Behemoth and Decapitated, this foursome are showing
the also-rans how this death metal shit is done.

Rave magazine

Polish quartet make colourfully technical brutal death metal. "Lost Soul play brutal death metal with bucket loads of technicality thrown in for good measure. This in and of itself is nothing new, as this sort of thing has been around since Deicide’s Legion and Morbid Angel’s, well, everything, but Lost Soul have a few sonic tricks up their sleeve on Chaostream that set them apart from every other brutal band with a math metal stylistic flourish that you’ve heard. Mechanically fast blast beats and chugging riffs are the order of the day here, and it’s all done very well. Hell, there are moments when these guys are going so fast I’d almost swear there’s a drum machine playing. But it’s the left-field melodies that seem to come out of nowhere on these songs that truly win one over, giving Chaostream some very engaging musical colour. And the lead guitar is awesome – glorious, melodic leads over dissonant death metal riffs, almost like the days when King Diamond’s Andy LaRoque was playing for Death – only much faster. The Cannibal Corpse-influenced Christian Meat and occasionally Meshuggahish Godstate are highlights. It all makes for a refined yet brutally confronting experience. Kind of like being lacerated by a cobwebbed scalpel, only fun.”

Kerrang magazine

“The Polish death metal onslaught continues. WHAT DO they pot in the Water in Poland? Vader, Decapitated, Yattering: the list of top-shelf death metal bands that hail from this otherwise innocuous corner of Eastern Europe in staggering. For years, underground warriors Lost Soul have threatened to force their way into this brutal elite, but it’s only now that their true promise is being fulfilled. Cuts such an the towering epic The Birth Of Babylon showcase a controlled chaos and technical wizardry that would make Morbid Angel proud, while Jacek Grecki consistently sets himself apart from the hordes of fret wankers by unleashing leads that are both focused and intense. Chaostream doesn’t revolutionise death metal, bat it will remind you why you loved it in the first place.” - KKK

Walls of Fire website http://www.wallsoffire.de/Reviews/show_review.php3?kritik_id=4927

Pyromusic website http://www.pyromusic.net/index.php?p=reviews/review&r=265

http://www.hardandheavy.net

“Poland’s Lost Soul returns with yet anther savage Death Metal album. After the success of their 2003 Ubermensch (Death Of God) released on Osmose Productions, Lost Soul unleash Chaostream on Wicked World. Lost Soul explores esoteric themes through out Chaostream. With uncompromising over the top arrangements and brutal grooves that remorselessly hammer and vibrate around your skull. The guitar solos are inventive and well thought through, which makes Piotr Ostrowski and Jacek Grecki some of the best guitarists in Death Metal. Stand out tracks are Death Crowns All, Mortal Cage and Angel’s Cry. But really each track on Chaostream is superior Death Metal that heats your blood to boiling point.” – 95/100