The Chasm reviews online

I bet Daniel is flirting with that gal so he can get a so so review, that's Daniel's way if you know what I mean. :yuk:

For Alondragothic's intense enjoyment no doubt here's Voices from The Darkside's comments on the album

What kind of name is Alondragothic anyway?

THE CHASM
The Spell Of Retribution
(Wicked World / Earache Records)
66:13min

THE CHASM luckily never really gave a shit about being the "next big thing" and are the living proof that there actually IS a possibility to still create a unique style within the boundaries of extreme Metal! Their newest album "The Spell Of Retribution" (their first for the Earache subdivision Wicked World) is another very fine example of that and therfore really deserves your attention! Just like on their previous full length ("Conjuration Of The Spectral Empire") they kick things off with an instrumental track… and in that department 'From The Curse A Scourge' has become one of the best compositions in extreme Metal for quite a while! The song is blessed with a great powerful, razorsharp METAL riffing in the good old SLAYER tradition, an extremely cool leading melodyline (which somehow has this vintage DEATH ANGEL 'Ultra-Violence' feel to it) on top of it and gets delivered with a very apocalyptic overall feel to it! No matter if you agree here or not – fact is, this opener easily graps your attention and sets you in the right mood for the remaining songs on the record! 'The Omnipotent Codex' is another example of the band's godly raw oldschool Death / Thrash Metal, combining vintage KREATOR with a SLAYER / POSSESSED kinda feel, yet maintaining the typical THE CHASM trademarks. Awesome and totally crushing riffing in the middle section here! The rather midpaced 'The Eclipse: Monument To The Empire' is a 9 ½* minutes roller coaster ride within the unique boundaries of THE CHASM's own musical world of mystical Death / Thrash. The song is seperated in three chapters, with lots of twists and turns in terms of the song's feeling, very well arranged though and with their very own, unmistakeable atmosphere to it. That's actually what THE CHASM seperates the most from the rest of all the oldschool Death / Thrashers: they focus on very long, epic songs and a very complex songwriting style, which despite its brilliance, sometimes could need a little catchier approach here and there. Just like in 'The Fortress' for example, which is a very fine, speedy crusher in the best early POSSESSED manner! Don't get me wrong here - I really enjoy everything they come up with, but you're not always necessarily in the right mood to listen to all those little bits and pieces that get incoporated into their monuments of Death. So, a couple of shorter and more straight to the point tracks certainly would help to keep up the listener's attention next time! Apart from that, this is obviously another essential release that you shouldn't miss out on! Release date: November 08, 2004. All further info you may get at the band's official website www.enterthedeathcult.com.

Frank Stöver

Metal Nightmare's review here:

THE CHASM

THE SPELL OF RETRIBUTION

2004 EARACHE / WICKED WORLD

Best album of 2004 right here, hands down. With a strong occult feeling combined with sweeping melodic passages and thundering death metal, „The Spell of Retribution‰ is an album that demands that you bang your head. I've often said that THE CHASM get better with each subsequent album, and it's damn scary just how good they've gotten. Never bowing to trends or looking for the easy way forward, they've weathered many changes in the death metal scene and ignored all of them. For those looking for the latest gore or blatantly satanic album, look elsewhere. THE CHASM prefer to sing of strength, power, cosmic forces and mysticism. There is an evil presence in their music, and it is one that comes from a time long since forgotten in the shadows of the past. Describing their sound is difficult, as it must be experienced to be understood. But look to the glories of early death and thrash metal bands for where their inspirations come from. Aggressive most of the time, almost passive at others, „The Spell of Retribution‰ is an album that will stay with the listener long after the songs have ended. For those who are truly into the metal of death, this is a place you have yearned to be. All hail the ancient Aztec legions!

Here's a snippet of the Metal Hammer UK review

The Chasm
‘The Spell of Retribution’
Wicked World

The artwork reflects
the point about The Chasm; they form one of the few working and organic
links between Metal’s darkly spiritual heritage (Iron Maiden/Judas
Priest) and (relatively) more modern extreme metal (Bathory/Slayer).
This ‘foot in both camps’ attitude sets them apart from current death
metallers and lends them an ear for tune and capability for intricate
song structure often noticeable by its absence elsewhere in the genre.
For this South American trio tracks such as ‘Conqueror and Warlord’ are
as much about their interest in their pre-Christian heritage as they are
about paying tribute to early metal bands that influenced them. This
forms the concept of this excellent album and it all centres around the
epic ‘The Eclipse: Monument to the Empire’. This triple part, ten minute
epic about human sacrifice and worship comes on in the vein of Kreator
and Possessed with power metal stylings. Elsewhere ‘Retribution of the
Lost Years (I, Pastfinder III)’ progs out unashamedly but manages to
encapsulate their whole ethos.

An infernal stocking filler for the staunchly death metal
traditonalist in your life.

Blistering Entertainment review here: http://www.blistering.com

The Mexican founded/Chicago based death metal act The Chasm have maintained a steady underground following since the release of their debut full length album Procreation Of The Inner Temple in 1994.

And after six releases and a dedication to maintaining their unique sound, their perseverance has paid off with a deal from Earache Records’ label Wicked World.

The Chasm’s follow up to 2002’s Conjuration Of The Spectral Empire (Released through Witches Brew Records) in The Spell Of Retribution continues with the bands unique take on death metal. But it also shows a marked progression in regards production and performances from the three members (Vocalist/guitarist/bassist Daniel Corchado, guitarist/bassist Julio Viterbo and drummer Antonio Leon), while maintaining the bands core sound and feel set down by previous releases.

The Chasm begin the album with the stunning instrumental ‘From The Curse, A Scourge...’ (Not unlike the past three releases). The melodically inclined guitar lines are irresistible, while the overall menacing tone (Enhanced by the use of the bell towards the end) is one manufactured from odd riff structures and a warm production sound (Rather than the typical cold and clinical sound adopted by most these days).

The Chasm really begins their black metal carnage on the relentless ‘The Omnipotent Codex’. Again, it’s the mix of rawness with a warm production that sets them apart from most, while the continual change of pace (From brutal attacks to melodic riff patterns) gives the song enough variation to allow for plenty of solos and textures.

Forging ahead with uncompromising fury is ‘Conqueror & Warlord’ (With a fantastic melodic/breakdown section mid way through), the technical bewilderment of ‘Manifest My Intervention’ and ‘Fortress’, while ‘Retribution Of The Lost Years (I, The Pathfinder III)’ (The third part of the ‘I, The Pathfinder’ series) is the first to slow things down with a doom like feel with heavy riffing, subtle uses of acoustic guitar and a guest appearance from Ancient Gods vocalist Carlos Lopez.

‘Conjuring The New Apocalypse’ returns to heavier territory, but it’s the three part ten minute epic ‘The Eclipse: Monument To The Empire’ (‘I - Sentence And Burden’, ‘II - The Voyage’ and ‘III - The Restitution’) that really showcases The Chasm’s ability to keep things interesting within their death metal realm within such a long running length.

‘Remains Of The Covenant’ (Not unlike the opening instrumental) allow both guitarists to show off their array of riffs and respective solos, while ‘Eternal Cycle Of Delusion’ is a stunning climax with a positively evil and darker sound that it’s predecessors.

With over an hour of running time, The Chasm proves that there’s still something new to be heard within the extreme metal scene. And while patience is required to allow the rather lengthy songs to sink in, the quality of the material makes the task easier.

The Chasm may have been an underground favourite for the past decade, but The Spell Of Retribution will certainly help in some way to bringing them into the bigger league.

Wow, 10/10 review from our friends at imhotep in Norway

www.imhotepzine.com

THE CHASM „The Spell Of Retribution‰ (2004) Wicked World/Tuba AS

(10/10 Points)

These days Death Metal can be just so much, as I wrote in the Death Du Jour review. But no matter how you execute your version of extreme Death Metal, in the end all that matter is what you feel exactly when you listen to the album. It‚s cool to remember something from the music you like, however I can‚t really say it is an important factor since your head will always make up an own version of the same song you think you remember. You probably miss some details, maybe a little hit on the left cymbal, or even the lead-guitars melody that is just slightly different compared to the basic rhythms.

So, what do you feel when you listen to the album in question? Maybe you remember something nice you were doing the last time you heard the album? Maybe you were doing your dishes? Or even, could be you just sat there, reading an excellent book about Satan and God and flowers, and having a time of your life? When I listen to „The Spell Of Retribution‰ I feel total darkness. It‚s like The Chasm do their uttermost just to please my dark desires. The Chasm do not play Death Metal, they are Death Metal with only capital letters as in DEATH METAL. I mean, just take one single listen to the last three minutes of „Conqueror & Warlord‰. When other lesser Death Metal bands would choose to end the amazing mid-paced section after just a minute, The Chasm go the whole nine yards, just building and building the track towards the end. It‚s so goddamn heavy, you won‚t believe it.

The Chasm have one main difference compared to all other Death Metal bands, since they choose to lengthen their tracks quite a bit. The shortest song, except for the introduction „From The Curse, A Scourge<sum>‰, is just closing in at 5 minutes. „Fortress‰ is also the most straightforward damnation, and in that manner deserves to be this<sum>, ahem, short. Not much of a surprise then, when the following intricate „Retribution Of The Lost Years (I, The Pathfinder III)‰ is close to 8.06 minutes. A funny thing, if you really pay notice, is something that happens after exactly 1.37 minutes and lasts for 10 seconds. I don‚t really know if it an electric acoustic guitar that is hidden in the mix, but I had to hear the album 21 times before I noticed it. Ahhh, such small details make my life worth living.

The Chasm‚s „<sum>Retribution‰ is a lengthy bastard. Each track has its moment, and most of the tracks have their momentS. I mean, normally a Death Metal track has the first verse, chorus, second verse, a cool bridge part before they repeat the first verse and chorus yet again. That‚s of course fine if your band is named Death, but The Chasm deliver a „<sum>Spell<sum>‰ that just keeps coming up with new riffs all the time. As the label says: „<sum>with a riff count per song that would form an entire album‚s worth for most bands<sum>‰, and it is actually completely accurate.

I wonder, are you, the reader, bored now by all my words? Well, since the playing time for this DEATH METAL album is 66 minutes, I assume I should continue for another two<sum>, well, verses.

1. Verse

The Chasm are Real Death Metal

Playing the shit out of me

They‚re better than everyone else

That‚s just so easy to see

2. Verse

If you‚re dying for Death Metal

You better get their album now

If not you‚re a piece of shit

And then you shall bow

Chorus

The Chasm are here to kill

Everyone in their path

Real Death Metal upon the world

The Spell of Retribution

And then I haven‚t mentioned their excellent dark sound, their fine solos, that this album is a grower nor that their highest moment of darkness, namely the epic „The Eclipse: Monument To The Empire‰, has the a fantastic part lasting for 20 seconds, appearing after 1.37 minutes into the track.

„The Spell Of Retribution‰ is a fantastic album by a band with an identity.

(Roy Kristensen)

As a fan I was a little disappointed. Reading such big reviews made me anxious to get the album and when I got the promo and played it , it wasn't what I was expecting. I like their old material much better than this new one. The cover art is not as wonderful as previous albums but that's ok.

http://www.wallsoffire.de

If there was ever a band that never quite received its dues, it is ‘The Chasm’. This three-piece Mexican-American death/thrash act has been around since 1992, with a handful of albums/ep’s being released via obscure, underground record labels. I’ve read about this band for aeons, but getting to hear their material was another matter. It is fair to say that they have suffered from lack of exposure over the past decade.

Seems as though the good folk at Earache/Wicked World are about to change that. At the very least, with world wide promotion of ‘The Spell of Retribution’, ‘The Chasm’ are going to gather some massive exposure and with that, a whole new fan base. Certainly, for anyone who loves a good bout of blackened death with thrash style sensibilities, ‘The Chasm’ are going to be very appealing.

With the Mille Petrozza like vocals (circa Endless Pain) of Daniel Corchado laying down a brutally raw and thoroughly direct line throughout ‘The Chasm’s’ complex material, ‘The Spell..’ is anything but a run of the mill death/thrash affair. That’s not to say it’s redefined the rule book - far from it - it’s just that for all of its impersonation of Maiden, Dissection, Slayer, Bathory and Kreator, ‘The Chasm’ actually have created their own style. It’s fairly subtle, but the complexity of their compositions and a highly obtuse, yet compelling melodic lead element that tends to be the backbone of their music gives ‘The Spell’ and the band extra points for originality and creativity.

If there were anything to complain about, then the albums lengthy 66-minute invitation would be it. There’s no denying ‘The Chasm’s’ wish to be inventive and complex in nature, but with a 90% mid-tempo make up, their compositions are not diverse enough to have a lasting impact. As a result, they tend to meander a little. I’m not overly keen on the production either, although I believe the slightly dry and buried guitar sound to be more intentional than anything to do with mixing errors in the studio. Other will find it pleasing, I don’t.

‘The Spell’ is a great introduction to ‘The Chasm’. It’s nothing groundbreaking in terms of ideas, but has enough individuality to convince the listener that this is not just another faceless death/thrash act. ‘The Chasm’ have a cult following and no doubt they worship this new album. For me, it’s interesting enough, but I doubt its longevity.

7/10

From RoyalCarnage.com

THE CHASM The Spell Of Retribution
Wicked World/Earache
www.enterthedeathcult.com

1. From The Curse, A Scourge...
2. The Omnipotent Codex
3. Conqueror & Warlord
4. Manifest My Intervention
5. Fortress
6. Retribution Of The Lost Years (I, The Pathfinder III)
7. Conquering The New Apocalypse
8. The Eclipse: Moument To The Empire
I. Sentence And Burden
II. The Voyage
III. The Restitution
9. Remains Of The Covenant
10. Eternal Cycle of Delusion

One of Wicked World/Earache's latest signings is Mexico's THE CHASM, whose first release for the label is a scathing cauldron of mystic death, entitled The Spell Of Retribution. While I have been a fan of this band since hearing Procession To The Infraworld a few years back, I must say that this is the album I have been waiting for. Not that there is anything drastically different here, but it seems that all of the key ingredients have been perfectly blended. The conceptual epics that they are known for, unique riffs and melodies, all contained within. And there lies the difficulty of this review, taking it ALL in. This has about as many different riffs as DARK ANGEL's Time Does Not Heal! Well, maybe not that many, but you get my point...

Now, THE CHASM have been at it for a long time, releasing albums on their own, through Oz Records, Dwell Records and now their new home, Earache. It's been a long time coming, in fact this particular album has been highly hyped for the last year or so. Well, it's now here and the results are astounding. Their seventh release may very well be their best, a culmination of determination and hard work. Opening with an instrumental track, the album kicks off in a very catchy, yet unsimplistic way. It's apparent from the start that there is something special here, that this may be one of those metal albums that will make "the books," so to speak. Once "The Omnipotent Codex" begins, this platter of death never lets up. I dare any metalhead to not bang thy head by the 3 minute mark of this song. The hurricane pace of "Conqueror & Warlord" levels the field, by the end of the song I feel like I've heard every reference point of brutal, thrashin' death metal available to mankind. From KREATOR to SABBAT to MAIDEN to INCANTATION to MORBID ANGEL, and we're only finishing the third track, sixteen minutes or so into the album! Stunning.

The snakelike riff that starts the fourth song, "Manifest my Intervention," is some of the sickest riffing I've heard since NILE or MITHRAS collapsed into our collective laps. It is quite obvious that THE CHASM are not content with simple structures, yet somehow when they throw the paint on the paper, they manage to see that it drips and flows in a certain fashion, and it works. Fifth song in and I'm still hooked, the title of this one fitting as that is exactly what this is, a fortress of pure metal. Where do they come up with all of these riffs? Maybe they should share some, so they wouldn't make everybody seem so lazy! There are many epic moments, track six included, which comes in at eight minutes. They make good use of acoustic guitars on this one, it adds an element of atmosphere missing from many of their contemporaries.

The album's longest track comes in the form of "The Eclipse: Monument To The Empire." Clocking in at nine and a half minutes, a three part epic, that is without a doubt, the centerpiece of the album. Again, everything from death metal to riffs that sound like Moving Pictures era RUSH towards the very end of the song. Wow!!! And then, for the doom lords out there, check out "Remains Of The Covenant." Very impressive, indeed. They round everything out with a fairly technical number for the last song. The tempo changes are very frequent, the drummer is gonna have his work cut out for him live.

I'm sure this album will go over most people's heads, but for those that have an attention span, or if you're A.D.D. and on ritalin, give it a few spins. Stimulate your brain, it's good for you.

Rating: 9/10
Papa Josh

Rave magazine

“Ahhhh it almost feels like 1984 again. Originally out of Mexico City, The Chasm formed in 1992 and have since released a number of albums. The Spell Of Retribution is their first release for Wicked World, a sub division of Earache. From the get go, this album reeks of old school influences and I’m talking real old school. Think along the lines of a mix of early Slayer, Possessed, Venom and Kreator and you’re well on the way to understanding this metal assault machine. For those who are looking for something different to the current crop of metal bands, this is a great place to start. There’s every reason to think it could be straight out of 1984 but with better production. Just hearing the instrumental opening track draws the listener into the dark world created by this trio. The songs are fairly well written and original sounding and they throw a myriad of riffs and timing changes. If you want to escape back to the old school, then look no further than The Chasm.” – 3 1/2

From my own zine Wormwood Chronicles :

The Chasm - The Spell of Retribution
By Dr. Abner Mality

This has been a LOOOONNG time coming for these veterans but I'm sure they are thrilled to see a decent label behind their efforts at last. One thing's for sure, you can't mistake The Chasm for anybody else. They are hunkered down in the confines of their own domain and don't give a shit what else is going on the world of metal.

"The Spell of Retribution" sees the band with their first decent production ever, which will certainly help them get noticed, but not much else has changed. They are as epic as always and certainly haven't compressed their music any. In the end, that kind of hurts them, but again, I'm sure they don't care. The Chasm's music is very complex and has a mournful quality to it. Even though the pace is fast on most tracks, I don't hesitate to call "The Spell of Retribution" a doom metal album because a feeling of doom hovers like a shroud over each and every song. The band swings from a thrashing chug to a sorrowful minor key melody at the drop of a corpse and black metallers and Goth fans who usually shy away from the sheer brutality of death metal should find something to interest them here.

However, there is such a concept as too much of a good thing and The Chasm hit that wall here. The record is VERY daunting to listen to in one sitting and it becomes exhausting by the end. I actually think the record could have ended after the colossal three part epic "The Eclipse: Monument to the Empire" with no loss at all. But the band is totally absorbed in its work and seems to pay no heed at all to the expectations of others.

That's what makes The Chasm such a strong and original band. Yes, they are long-winded and overblown in spots, but musically, you can't fault the strong vision and superior execution of "The Spell of Retribution".

Aussie Kerrang:

“Challenging death metal from underrated veterans. Earache’s decision to pick up The Chasm proves that good things do happen to deserving people. For a decade this criminally ignored outfit have chosen integrity over sales by ignoring the myriad of fly-by-night trends that have infested extreme music. Instead they’ve specialized in a brand of dense, complex death metal complete with echoes of classic thrash and doom. The Spell Of Retribution continues this tradition, and is dominated by Dark Angel-esque epics that twist and turn in a Byzantine fashion not seen since Hell Awaits. The Chasm’s guitar sound is brutal yet chillingly melodic, the aural equivalent of having your throat cut in a blizzard and being left to die. But don’t worry; this is a record well worth spilling your blood for." - KKKK

DB magazine

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/356/cd-TheChasm.shtml

"Right from the Megadeth-inspired introduction of From The Curse, A Scourge... The Chasm have created an intense and complexly layered work. 'The Spell Of Retribution' is replete with epic tracks, with Retribution Of The Lost Years (I, The Pathfinder III) and the three-part The Eclipse: Monument To The Empire being definite highlights.

While there are not many solos to speak of, the complexity and frequency of the riffs means this lack is hardly noticeable; however, when they do appear, they are in keeping with the album's feel: Fortress contains the album's sole trade-off solo, while Retribution features a slower and more melodic effort and many others contain melody lines which, while not exactly solos, still add an additional layer to the sound.

There are only two drawbacks on this album. The first is that the bass is almost entirely lost in the mix, only surfacing in one or two places to remind us of its presence. The second is the consistently mid-tempo feel. Retribution manages to break away from this, and also features some excellent acoustic guitar, both in its own passages and layered above the heavier sounds. Overall, though, the album has a sameness about its speed which becomes a little annoying. The complexity of the riffs and the frequency of the variation, however, more than makes up for this minor drawback, and the album remains a multifaceted work inspired by the likes of Iron Maiden, Slayer, Dissection and Bathory."