Love Varg, or hate Varg, pleasepleaseplease Read this Article.

J. said:
For the link, thanks. Cool.

yoda.jpg

Nate The Great said:
Actually, they do. Do some research and you will find out that Lord of the Rings is completely about Christianity.

haha, and with some research and you will find out that The Lord of the Rings is completely about christianity/paganism/Norse Heathenism/myths/legends/fairytales/etc etc etc. + a STRONG Dose of Wagners Ring of the Nibelung

I know its asking a lot, but I'de really like to use this thread to discuss those articles...I think they are very important to the Metal community, and worthy of discussion.

So It'd be cool if youw anted to continue talking about LOtR on another thread =/

Just asking...

There are similarities if you look. The "resurrection" of Gandalf from a poor looking wizard to the White Wizard, the traitor Saruman/Judas Iscariot, the Fellowship of the Ring/Disciples and of course Sauron/Satan.

Some of the comparisons do bring to mind Chrstianity, but i wouldn't say they are Christian based books. I sure there are books out there where Tolkien explains this in detail.

I won't say any more after this:

Tolkein was a strong Christian, and it is pretty much common knowledge that he based the Lord of the Rings around his Christian beliefs.

Now . . . on to Varg. I didn't really find anything new in that article. Varg seemed to work very hard at convincing us of why he did what he did. Why does he feel he needs to justify his actions?

Nate The Great said:
Why does he feel he needs to justify his actions?

Hmm, I think its a pretty normal thing to do that, with somthing this big? Mostly for yourself though, not for others. Especially when soooooo many people have told your story in sooooo many different ways, I don't think its weird he would want to say his exact recount of what he believes happend, and about Burzum itself.

KILL TULLY said:
Hmm, I think its a pretty normal thing to do that, with somthing this big? Mostly for yourself though, not for others. Especially when soooooo many people have told your story in sooooo many different ways, I don't think its weird he would want to say his exact recount of what he believes happend, and about Burzum itself.

For some reason I thought he was a lot more closed than he has become in the last year or so. Is he getting excited about his release or something?

Nate The Great said:
For some reason I thought he was a lot more closed than he has become in the last year or so. Is he getting excited about his release or something?

Sounds to me like a little of that, but also maybe he went through a Fenriz-type-thing, where he realized he doesn't have to pretend hes Evil as fuck.

...one VERY important thing from those articles is when he describes those first interviews he gave, where he sounds REDICULOUSLY over the top, the ones everyone seems to use to point out his dumb-ness. VERYVERY good that he has said what truely happend with them.

Not to threadjack, but here's my two cents on what inspired Tolkien:

Christianity, World War I, Beowulf, The Kalevala, stolen segments of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Barely Legal, and Mein Kampf. At the end of the day, he wanted Britain to have its own mythological stories.

I also read once that Varg sided with Sauron in the books, because he thoughts of the Elves as Jews: the chosen people, the immortals.

JayKeeley said:
I also read once that Varg sided with Sauron in the books, because he thoughts of the Elves as Jews: the chosen people, the immortals.

Well, then this is another example as to why you should read these articles. He explains that as well.

I read the first 3/4 of those articles. Very interesting. Old news though, for the most part, but the thing that comes across quite obviously in the first article is how lonely this guy sounds. There is a hint of desperation in his tone, and I actually feel quite sympathetic towards him.

The second article he sounds much colder, and still angry at Euronymous for just being such a poseur. I'm pretty sure I'd read all this before, but I had forgotten that he stabbed Euronymous in the skull. I don't know what to think -- only that he was pretty callous about the whole affair. After stabbing him once, Euronymous runs away begging for his life (calling on his neighbors), but Varg chased him down the corridor to stab him 4 or 5 more times in the back (shoulder), and then he finished him off by plunging the knife into his head.

Regardless of what happened that specific night, Varg is without doubt a very disturbed genius. I wonder, has he ever been diagnosed with depression or paranoid schizophrenia? Even choosing to not hang out with his "metal" friends and go clubbing instead (because he prefers the look of a club chick, heh), he just seems like he didn't fit in anywhere.

Another interesting point -- just to show how much creativity was flowing during the late 80's, early 90's, people like Varg were already sick and tired of new "trends" such as death metal etc. Funny how in this day and age, you tend to exhaust a genre or band until they are completely crap, but back then, there was always something better waiting round the corner. It was all very disposable in a way.

Good reads, but mostly reconfirming how disturbed he is, and probably has been since a very early age.

I thought it was weird that the guy behind Thorns was the one that drove the car to Oystein's place so Varg could kill him. Then I remember reading an interview where Varg totally bashes the guy calling him "sick" and "weak" or something.

Strange fellows.