Love

Final_Product said:
Someone mentioned earlier on how democracy is generally a way of making people think they have all the power, but in actuality it enables them to do precisely shit. I'd agree.
hmm...do you mean inherently? Or when applied to the real world? I would agree that american democracy gives zero power to the people. We really cant do anything. However, I dont think that is what democracy does intrinsically. I also have a feeling america is more corrupt than most democracies...you think thats a stretch? Or do you find its the same deal in europe?

Final_Product said:
Someone mentioned earlier on how democracy is generally a way of making people think they have all the power, but in actuality it enables them to do precisely shit. I'd agree.

I agree with you completely, especially after starting to read Colonel Qaddafi's 'The Green Book'.

Scott W said:
hmm...do you mean inherently? Or when applied to the real world? I would agree that american democracy gives zero power to the people. We really cant do anything. However, I dont think that is what democracy does intrinsically. I also have a feeling america is more corrupt than most democracies...you think thats a stretch? Or do you find its the same deal in europe?

Well, I suppose democracy as an idea has the enabling of the people at heart. In action it generally undermines that. Although, I am not sure a distinction between the theory and its applied state really counts as much as a justifiction when it comes to organisational ideas as to how we live our political lives. I say that because the applied theory really must be paramount.

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
democracies don't work because majority rule = minority getting trampled and screwed

Yes, but it remains impossible to make EVERYONE happy. That is not the fault of democracy.

Shiny McShining Rodriguez said:
But at least those with connections and money can be REALLY happy... that's the main thing.

Thats nonsense. Money and connections do not equate happiness. They perhaps allow one to flourish on a stage of greedy bastards and selfish automatons but it's all so superficial and hollow.

Final_Product said:
Thats nonsense. Money and connections do not equate happiness. They perhaps allow one to flourish on a stage of greedy bastards and selfish automatons but it's all so superficial and hollow.
so money doesn't = happiness unless you are an extremely superficial and hollow person

so
getting back on topic

having love > having money

If you are shallow and hollow then I suppose tonnes of money can make you happy.

I'm not sure if there is a universal quality of "happiness", I suppose its intrinsically subjective...So I suppose those who are shallow may find true happiness in materialistic forms.

Then again, it's only my value system that says materialism is any less worthy than a more spiritual and less imperialistic way of life. Anyone disagree and think materialism genuinely IS objectively worse, and more shallow?

Final_Product said:
If you are shallow and hollow then I suppose tonnes of money can make you happy.

I'm not sure if there is a universal quality of "happiness", I suppose its intrinsically subjective...So I suppose those who are shallow may find true happiness in materialistic forms.

Then again, it's only my value system that says materialism is any less worthy than a more spiritual and less imperialistic way of life. Anyone disagree and think materialism genuinely IS objectively worse, and more shallow?
materialism = shallowness