Low end frequencies question

pulsar

New Metal Member
Aug 12, 2007
Bavaria (Germany)
Hi guys, first of all I want to say, this is a kick ass forum and all of you guys rock for being so helpful! Just wanted to get that out of me first!

My problem an question is, what kind of low end frequencies do you guys use mainly for kick,bassguitar, guitars? I give the kick room at 60hz, the bass at 80-100 and the guitars depending on the tuning... How does Andy or you guys do that!!! I know that is a newbie question, but i allways seem to have to much low end in the mix! Thx in advance

I highpass everything that isn't kick or bass at about 80hz, and then even if my mix is bass heavy it's pretty tight bass... What you've got sounds about right... though I usually find the kick's resonance around 70-80

I like to boost the kick and bass around about 50hz usually. Then I usually sidechain the bass from the kick. This makes the two work together really well and a cool deep bass sound in the mix. For guitar, I usually filter off everything below 60hz-70hz. If you have too much low end in the mix, maybe you should get new monitors and/or treat your room with some bass traps because it probably has a lot more to do with that.