Luna Mortis

King Lek

King of Lekworld
May 14, 2004
Lekworld
Wondering around Facebook this morning and in the corner was an ad for this band ... clicked on it.

Surprised I have seen little mention of this band here (mentioned on one thread)

A rarity that I stumble across something that impresses me so much on a first listen...especially since I rarely do any looking....just normally wait 'till you all find them. :lol:

Certainly a band worth keeping on eye on. :kickass:

I really dig Luna Mortis! :headbang: I was highly impressed by them when I saw them as The Ottoman Empire two years ago at the first Flight of the Valkyries festival. At that time they were just a local band from Wisconsin so it was my first experience with them, but they really gave a full out live performance and Mary's seamless mixture of clean and death vocals just blew me away. Their music was melodic, but heavy, and downright powerful. They grabbed everyone's attention. They were turning more heads than I realized, because only about a year later they were signed to Century Media.

I thuroughly enjoyed their self-released debut Way of the Blade, and I'm really looking forward to hearing the full of their first label release, The Absence, when it comes out this month (just about a week actually! Woohoo!).

We played with them at the Madison Power Fest a couple years ago all they were all really cool and the band was pretty freaking awesome.

Just a Local band

Well everyone is local to somewhere, I guess being in a band I hate that label placed on bands. The term "local band" just makes it sound like they're some house bar band that plays covers (poorly) for beer and pretzels.

I'm a little biased with these guys because Mary is a friend of mine, but they've always impressed me. And they're also a great bunch of people. With the right backing behind them I've always felt they could achieve some pretty great stuff.

Just a Local band

Well everyone is local to somewhere, I guess being in a band I hate that label placed on bands. The term "local band" just makes it sound like they're some house bar band that plays covers (poorly) for beer and pretzels.
I just used the term "local" to differentiate that I saw Luna Mortis before they were a signed band, before they were playing far outside of their region/area (and before their name change).

I meant no offense by any description I used for them. I personally don't place such a narrow view on the term "local band" since I love a lot of great unsigned local bands, but perhaps I should have just said "unsigned band" to be more clear.

If I mean cover band I say cover band, and IMO there's nothing wrong with being in a cover band either, especially if you do it well ... and if it helps pay the bills more power to you for making money at playing music. Technically there's a cover band/tribute band playing ProgPower's mid-week mayhem this year. Nothing wrong with that. I hear they are talented as hell. :headbang: Also, Doro's drummer and bass player (who also do studio/live work for other bands) play together in a "cover band" (America Tabloid) from PA when they are not touring.

I don't associate any stigma with being in these type of bands because I've heard plenty of bands that fall into the categories of "local" or "cover" that have been great. I've also heard a lot of signed bands out there that sound like they should be playing for beer and pretzels.

If people eliminate their choices of music based on someone description a band as "local," than they are doing themselves a great disservice. Obviously, Luna Mortis has proved themselves to be more than just a "local" favorite if they've been signed by one of the bigger metal labels in the US.

Rose,

I wasnt trying to give you a hard time on my comment.

Ed
Sorry, Ed. I kinda went off on a tangent there. I just didn't want it to seem like me saying they were a local when I first saw them was any indication that their performance was sub-par or that I meant that as an insult.

It's pretty cool that you guys got to meet and share a stage with them previously.

The video is coming through very slow on my computer, so it's driving me nuts! Anyway, from what I can tell it sounds interesting. I'd like to check the band out further.

~Brian~
I don't think the band has a website (most Century Media bands seem to just have a myspace these days), but here's the link to their myspace just for convenience sake:
http://www.myspace.com/lunamortismusic

Yeah, I only heard about these guys a few weeks ago myself, because their guitarist was touring with Epicurean on the Rotting Christ tour. Not bad stuff.

I had heard the name a few times, but only really got to know about the same time when I was talking with Brian during breakfast before they headed out for that show.

I wish my computer was up and running so I could check out more of their stuff. Can't really afford to to it at work.

Rose,

I wasnt trying to give you a hard time on my comment.

Ed

At first I thought you were talking about me. I was thinking.... 1. I didn't even reply before this... 2. Don't freaking call me ROSE! Then I realized you were talking to BlackRoseMetalHeart, my lovely metal sister.

-Metal