Lyrical themes on Paradise Lost?

LudwigVan

New Metal Member
Jan 12, 2007
Great Neck, NY
Hi guys, brand new here.

Was wondering what your thoughts might be on the lyrics/themes that might be appearing on the new album.

I've been reading on Wikipedia that there would be a Lovecraft-based song. Of course, Lovecraft rules :worship: , but I'm extremely curious to see what S-X does with this since Lovecraft has been so overdone by other bands.

The main theme looks to be about Milton's epic poem, Paradise Lost. Now this is pretty heavy-duty stuff (i.e. profound, deep; you get my drift), and I can't wait to hear what comes of this....

Cheers!

Reactions: progmetaldan
Thanx for the welcome guys! BTW greenaxer, Symphony 3 is my fave.

So I did go into the 'OFFICIAL Paradise Lost' thread. It's not a bad thread, but it just seems to focus entirely on how the album should 'sound' (more guitars, less keys, etc.) as opposed to any discussion on lyrical-thematic content.

Anyhow, I've always admired how S-X have taken great care in choosing their subject matter; always keeping us guessing (the discussion that takes place in the 'V: the true connection' thread is a case in point).

Their themes are MUCH more evocative than the in-your-face lyrics of Rhapsody, or the angry/tired/woeful themes of Dream Theater :puke: .

I'd say SX's lyrics are as 'evocative' as early Rhapsody. In no way are Rhapsody lyrics more profound, but just as impacting.

I'm just worried really that 'Paradise lost' will tread in visited waters, specifically, 'The divine wings of tragedy.'

They've been working on this album for like 3 years now, I have absolutely no doubt that it will kick major ass. This isn't some crap that took a only few weeks to write, but quality stuff that MJR, the musical genius, put so many hours into writing.

Reactions: progmetaldan
Ugh... I can't stand Rhapsody or their lyrics... it's so cheesy and over-the-top. Symphony X and Adagio are the only bands in the genre that I can listen to without laughing hysterically.

I wouldn't classify Symphony X and Adagio in the same genre as Rhapsody... For me, Rhapsody is Symphonic Power-metal :erk: , whereas I would classify SX and Adagio as Neo-classical, Progressive-metal :headbang: ... That's why they're so much better... :D