lyrics interpretation

Mar 30, 2003
on Earth
the old topic again.

as Danny mentioned, the song Are you there?, and expecially its lyrics is of personal matter to the man. Fair enough. people are entitled to have their (unkn)own stories.
But as others mentioned before, should you know the actual meaning to a song? I dont think you need to.

i was actually thinking of something else; if a person writes lyrics about things that have occurred the way they've been experienced, and the writer lets the world know (through an album for instance) about it, isnt the world like... entitled to the original interpretation?
like: "you shouldnt have said it if you dont want others to know"?

i'm not trying to get under ppl's skin, it's just a hypothetical question.

Hmmm.. all I know is that a song gets fairly better when you know it's interpretation, or at least somewhat understand it.
I also have a habit of getting to know the lyrics of songs I really like and then I use a lot of time to figure out the interpretation of my own.

www.songmeanings.net is an ok source to see others opinions on things like that...

id (always) like to know what a song is about. but sometimes, reading words, i have my own interpretations. they result from my own life experiences, past events, emotions. we are all different. if we read the same words we usually have different feelings and observations. for example, presumably 'are u there?' is about daniel's experiences that i haven't faintest idea of... and presumably i can find words of this song suiting to something from my life... and then it's my own interpretation.

you make this song or poem or painting or whatever in order to express something that's part of you,a feeling, an experience,and deal with it somehow.but that doesn't mean the world has to know all the details. everyone's entitled to his privacy and it would make you very vulnerable.

art is a way to express yourself,to cope with things.and if ppl like it you're lucky, if they don't ... well that won't stop you will it?

so no,we're not entitled to know more than the artist is willing to give away

though i'm very curious too to know what's going on in some ppl's minds... :)

you could just as well ask the whole word to make all their thouhgts public..... man, that would be hell!!! all these sick minds!!!

toolsofthetrade said:
the old topic again.

as Danny mentioned, the song Are you there?, and expecially its lyrics is of personal matter to the man. Fair enough. people are entitled to have their (unkn)own stories.
But as others mentioned before, should you know the actual meaning to a song? I dont think you need to.

i was actually thinking of something else; if a person writes lyrics about things that have occurred the way they've been experienced, and the writer lets the world know (through an album for instance) about it, isnt the world like... entitled to the original interpretation?
like: "you shouldnt have said it if you dont want others to know"?

i'm not trying to get under ppl's skin, it's just a hypothetical question.
Its nice to know what songs are about that you like and touch you in some way. Or at least get the basic concept like. Also I reckon its better if the writer is honest when explaining, not someone trying to be Jimmy Mysterious. I get suspicious when people cant really explain what their own songs are about :lol:

Sure, but you're kind of stuck between publishing your personal life in detail or having people speculate about your exact feelings at that time.

Although I object to the phrasing "your own interpretation", I think that is the way it is for me sort of, say I'm influenced by stuff I can relate to, in relating I guess there is interpretation.

Then I dare say I'll never relate to stuff that ain't real, but you never know.

Strangelight said:
Its nice to know what songs are about that you like and touch you in some way. Or at least get the basic concept like. Also I reckon its better if the writer is honest when explaining, not someone trying to be Jimmy Mysterious. I get suspicious when people cant really explain what their own songs are about :lol:
:yell: same here.
as Irene mentioned, u need some kind of privacy with your story. not the world has to know what goes around in yer mind like, sometimes happily enuff... ;)

heh, as you mention it, i was listening to CoF's Midian.
giving (when possible) as lissen to the lyrics, and i found out mr Davey hasnt been writing much differently to Vempire if you ask me. in fact, this same old concept sounded quite boring, instead of when they first turned up with it.
i think the fantasy chemical has died out a bit at CoF's.
and the mysticism in it has left the ship somewhat releases ago... i bet he knows what he's talking about, but i doubt whether it's really what comes to mind when he's folding another diaper on the newborn :p

actually, i think it's me a bit who lost interest in their lyrics.

@ cerulean: yeah and i can name a few others...

Strangelight said:
it's not about being able to explain'em, but about you wanting to

Allan said:
Sure, but you're kind of stuck between publishing your personal life in detail or having people speculate about your exact feelings at that time.
exactly. isnt that what yer 'asking' for in that perspective? having ppl speculating about what means what?

let ppl speculate as much as they like , let them think whatever they want...it doesn't hurt...

or am i being a simpleton now...yes i think i am

well, from a gossip p.o.v. fuck it, deffo.
from a human interest standing point, i'd love to know, and speculation might do more damage than it would provide 'wisdom' like :erk:

also: does "art" always needs an explanation? if a song is good, if you like it,if a painting strikes you,if you get shivers seeing this beautiful photo it's OK. you don't really need all the background to be able to enjoy. there's a lot of things i dont understand but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them

Bastet said:
also: does "art" always needs an explanation? if a song is good, if you like it,if a painting strikes you,if you get shivers seeing this beautiful photo it's OK. you don't really need all the background to be able to enjoy. there's a lot of things i dont understand but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them
Sure but it depends on what it is. Ok, photographs. You look in the newspaper and theres a pic of an average guy with glasses and a beard. You dont think much of it.. but then how the picture changes when you read that he's murdered 4 people? Some lyrics arent intended as "art", but a reflection of whats going on at the time. And I would rather know the difference. Things can change drastically once you know the story behind it.
Ah, the footys on anyway...