Lyrics interpretation!

Miller wrote great lyrics, but I like Romeo and Pinnella's lyrics better. Miller was a great bassist, but LePond is better- I'm not sure why Tom left the band but I think it was for the better.

Also, I'm damn sure that "In the Dragon's Den" is about the Holocaust and the Jews in hiding.

Every time I listen to Church Of The Machine I start thinking of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. A great song & a great book but the connection's probably in my head...

TotenMitMacht said:
Also, I'm damn sure that "In the Dragon's Den" is about the Holocaust and the Jews in hiding.[/QUOT
NO WAY MAN!!
a. simply no.
b. you really think a song about the Holocoast would sound like that :err: ???
c. hiding? in a dragon's den?!?! - not too bright man....

dont take it hard but I like think its a comic song about sy'x reherse room at home like mine and about the joy of creating music.
"2 faces on the wall.."- the 2 masks of theater on the wall. (like in V..)
"ashes on the floor.." - thats easy..
"dragons calling throughout the night.."- my guitar sounds like it..
"forever lost in the dragon's den.."- Im lost too and Im glad for it..
- lyrics: sy'x. go with the song you'll see it too.

well...its obvious that SX reads far more than i do.

i imagine a lot of it is literary inspiration, but they take it further than that by also incoporating the feelings that the music presents, and finding a way to express that in a poetic fashion as well.

like medusa and pharoah, its pretty clear what the reference is...but i think SX added their own feelings to it, that really explain how these two characters could be so terrible. they include the feeling of something immortal that draws on very deep power, and only that can explain how they could be so devastating as to curse people or turn them to stone. you can feel it too...the "endless, timeless, ageless terror" that is the source of their immortality and terrible power.

at the edge of forever and in a winters dream seem like ways to try and describe the strange feeling that is created by the music. when i started listening to symphony x's music, i could imagine places and feelings quite vividly, that are not of my experience, and its hard to even imagine where on this earth they could be. "the edge of forever" is not a bad way to describe such a place.

these feelings are present without the lyrics too.

on the breath of posiedon really does FEEL that way. listening to it, i could immediately feel myself at some coastal cliffs. maybe the song was supposed to inspire being adrift on the ocean, more than being on the coast right next to the ocean but that is a factor of my experience. i've spent more time at the coast than seaborne, and i heard that song not knowing it was part of a concept album (i downloaded it when it leaked, had crappy modem, that was all i got). still the feeling of the sea (posiedon is the god of the sea) is there!!

this is one reason why i love symphony x. when the music is new to me, it always inspires these kind of vivid sensations. eventually it loses the feeling, but that's why i give them a break for a while and then listen to them intensely, and why i'm always eager for the next album.

-Ahmad

Some lines in The Edge of Forever make me think it is about a break-up or a , kind of wierd for SX though. I agree with ADI 29/8's perception on In The Dragon's Den. Don't worry Toten your'e not stupid, my freind thought SX created the story for The Odyssey

I wish Romeo, Pinella, or Russ would come in this thread and give us a hint on some of the ones we have no clue on.

ADI 29/8 said:
dont take it hard but I like think its a comic song about sy'x reherse room at home like mine and about the joy of creating music.
"2 faces on the wall.."- the 2 masks of theater on the wall. (like in V..)
"ashes on the floor.." - thats easy..
"dragons calling throughout the night.."- my guitar sounds like it..
"forever lost in the dragon's den.."- Im lost too and Im glad for it..
- lyrics: sy'x. go with the song you'll see it too.

huh, interesting. thats quite creative. i never really thought too deeply about that song...or any of their songs for that matter i guess....i just kinda take their songs for what they are. i don't normally search for a deeper meaning. its interesting to me when someone points out a possible deeper meaning though. lyrics are an amazing thing sometimes. its like a puzzle you have to try and solve for yourself.

The_Accolade said:
this is one reason why i love symphony x. when the music is new to me, it always inspires these kind of vivid sensations. eventually it loses the feeling, but that's why i give them a break for a while and then listen to them intensely, and why i'm always eager for the next album.

right on! i completely agree :)