Fantasy Lyrics

I do agree that SX's lyrics fit well with their style of music, so i guess i can't fault them for that. And while lyrics about mythology or whatever can't ruin a song for me, thoughtful, personal lyrics can take a song to a whole new level (see pretty much anything off Awake.)

As for the whole "fantasy as a metaphor" thing, I don't buy it. You can say that a song represents whatever you want, but I doubt that a personal experience has ever inspired a fantasy themed song. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I enjoy the music quite a lot so far.

As for the whole "fantasy as a metaphor" thing, I don't buy it. You can say that a song represents whatever you want, but I doubt that a personal experience has ever inspired a fantasy themed song. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I enjoy the music quite a lot so far.
I'm not saying a metaphor for a specific personal experience. It's the fact that you can write about the emotions and themes in stories, instead of just retelling some piece of fantasy in a song.

For example - "King of Terrors" is about The Pit and the Pendulum, right? Well, is the song really about a guy tied down in a room with a blade swinging down to cut him open? No, that would be fucking boring, and the lyrics would just be "this happened, then this happened, etc". It's about the terror and insanity (and all the other terrible stuff that Poe loved to write about) that the guy goes through by being trapped in this cell, and how he would rather die than continue the crazy torments that his captors have put on him. So when you don't take it so literally, it's a lot cooler than "tied down, swinging blade is going to kill a guy."

The content of the lyrics (what it's about at first glance) doesn't really matter as much as the emotion that the particular song is trying to show. While listening to "The Wall" for the first time, even without listening carefully to the lyrics, it was easy to see what stage of insanity Pink was in, or what mood he was in. I don't mind fantasy lyrics at all, and at times, I prefer them over songs about reality. Politics and people are all around. Ithica, The Church of the Machine and The Looking Glass aren't.

Gore/Evil lyrics like this?

Babyraper, sperm creator
Hulking, brutish masturbator
Babyraper, emasculator
Fleshy flap valve navigator
Never leave me,
Babyraper
Melted cum ejaculator
Spackled filth evaporator
High colonic spackulator the
Babyraper the Babyraper
My quest for sex consumes all my life