A Lyrics Question. Help, please!

Originally posted by Kyra
But in some cases, I think there are little errors that come from English not being the writer's first language.

But bands from other countries sometimes have odd phrases and lines that don't quite make sense, and it's not because it's proper. I admire anyone for writing lyrics in English if it's not their first language, and I'm not criticising, but sometimes it's quite obvious that the lyrics (and liner notes) have NOT been proof read.

I totally second that.

And talk about Germans (most of them) ;)
Everything has to be German... Speak German or die... English is not good... Ergh..

Here's an example of what is intriguing me......The Shaman site has all lyrics from "Ritual" published. I'm assuming Andre wrote most of the words. Check out the word choices, imagery, phrasing, etc. I really like it, because it's a different perspective, intentional or not.....from the same old , same old !

http://www.shamanonline.com.br/

not all bands have perfect english. Like i have found that in flames' lyrics make absolutely no sense... i think it's because they take words in english that are close to what they want to convey in swedish, but when put together it makes no sense. Then there is this example from sonata arctica:
"I gave you my time
I gave you my whole life
I gave you my love, every dime
They told me it was... a crime

Do you remember?
Or did it all go in vain...

I looked in the light, I sat in your coalmine..."
what exactly do they mean by "coalmine"? Is that truely a language error or does it mean something i am not aware of?

Ok, later.

Originally posted by Grom Hellscream
Geben Sie mir bitte eine dollar, monsieur, je ne mange pas six jours....:)
Hehe...

Originally posted by theodyssey
what exactly do they mean by "coalmine"? Is that truely a language error or does it mean something i am not aware of?
Maybe they couldn't find any other word that RHYMED, so "coalmine" reflected what he felt: sitting or being left in the dark. Or everything else was dark around him since she left him.

OK, here's an example from Angra "Angels Cry".
Song is "Never Understand"........

I wonder why
My mind is tight
Like stormy weather.

And so it seems
That little steps
Would take forever.

My question is...if this was written in their language, but translated to English, would it read any differently and actually make sense? Personally, I think it's great, cause it's so different. But I wonder if it's written in a different perspective because of the language.

BTW...Did anyone get Shaman "Ritual"? I love this CD, been listening to it over and over. :D