A Lyrics Question. Help, please!

Pharaoh

Oct 16, 2002
LITITZ, PA
Visit site
Can anyone help me with some questions, pleeeze?

I have been wondering about bands from other countries and their writing. Do they all speak English fluently and write their songs in English or are the lyrics often translated? American bands (SmyX, for instance), even though their major fanbase has been in other countries, release all music in English. Many would not have a clue what they're even singing about. But.....we get all lyrics in English from everywhere else. Are CDs released in other countries in their languages? This has me wondering, because so many lyrics from bands in other countries are great. How can they all be so fluent in English to write so well?

Or am I missing something here and just being stupid??:eek:

Well, there are some bands who release music in their mother tongue, but their music does not spread as widely as if they would release it in English. English is the most spoken language in the world, no doubt about it, so probably the bands, whose native language is not english, grew up listening music with lyrics written in english, wrote English spoken tunes For example, if you'd tell me to write a song in slovenian language, I'd be completely lost, because 99,9% music I listen is in English, so if I try attend writing lyrics, I start with words like thunder, divine,power, dragon, rainbow, witches (well, not really, but you get the picture :D ).

In most countries English is been tought at school, so everyone has some basic knowledge of that language. Here in Switzerland for example even people with the lowest school education have had at least a few years of english lessons. Of course that might not be enough to write perfectly in english, but afaik every band writing lyrics in english give them to a native english speaker first to check them for mistakes, so that might be the explanation for their good quality.

well like tyrion said , in all over europe , this generation everyone is attending english schools or taking english lessons like he said !!! their english is very very good especially since in europe and other continents , the english taught is much tighter than in north america !!!

Originally posted by SXProgMetal2002
well like tyrion said , in all over europe , this generation everyone is attending english schools or taking english lessons like he said !!! their english is very very good especially since in europe and other continents , the english taught is much tighter than in north america !!!

Yeha, i grews ups in the Untied State and all thems Engrish teechers know shits aboot speekin popper langruage. But rook, I turned out fines :D

Been listening to english music all my life, so I guess that's a part of it. And like Dado-X, I wouldn't be able to write in my native language either.. I simply prefer to express myself in english.

English is being taught in schools from a very early age over here now, kids start learning it when they are about 10 years old.

Originally posted by Soul of Ice
Yeha, i grews ups in the Untied State and all thems Engrish teechers know shits aboot speekin popper langruage. But rook, I turned out fines :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here in Brazil, 99,99% of all metal bands make lyrics in english, 'cuz we consider it the most proper language to sing metal... lots of bands write lyrics in english, like Angra, Shaman, Akashic, Krisiun, Symbols, blah-blah-blah......

Hey thanks guys. I really was curious about this. I find lyrics and phrasing from out of USA are unique. From what I'm hearing, maybe it's because it's more "proper". Also, the lyrics are more "visual". I agree, English has been wrecked here for the most part. SymX are one of the few bands I've heard from here that really have perfect visuals and emotion in their lyrics. I think Russ introduced his girlfriend as an English teacher when we saw them at Reflections in Jersey 9/9/00!

RE: Soul of Ice.....But rook, I turned out fines :lol: Glad to hear that! Hooked on Fonix werked fer me!

Rock on :headbang:

Hey Pharoah. Some of that uniqueness may be due to more "proper" English. But in some cases, I think there are little errors that come from English not being the writer's first language. If you look at bands from the UK, their lyrics aren't all that different from bands from the US. But bands from other countries sometimes have odd phrases and lines that don't quite make sense, and it's not because it's proper. I admire anyone for writing lyrics in English if it's not their first language, and I'm not criticising, but sometimes it's quite obvious that the lyrics (and liner notes) have NOT been proof read. Angel Dust's newest cd has a couple lines that just aren't quite right, though you get the gist of what they're trying to say. And if anyone has read the liner notes and the storyline for Avantasia, they'll know that English prose is not Tobias' specialty! :) That story was quite difficult to get through because the writing wasn't the best. But I think I prefer it that way - I'd rather he write it himself than tell the story to someone else and have them do it for him.

You know all, lyrics that is written by bands from UK, (for example, old Genesis, Arena, some Threshold...) is very different from lyrics written by all others.(including USA)
I understand absolutely nothing in their lyrics sometimes. Even with the vocabulary. Sometimes it looks like poetry more than like a text for a song.

So, maybe people in other countries are good in English, but not excelent.
In our country maybe 10% knows English a bit. No more. Although , in school they must take English lessons.

Music in our country sucks so much, that Slipknot or Britney Spears would be considered by myself as a national heroes if they were from here.
Honestly , I promise, you haven't heard such shit yet, as our people listen and like. The (if we can use that word?) lirics (but usually it is a stream of incoherent delirium) are usually written in Ukrainian or in Russian. Very seldom in English.

There is no metal, art-rock, prog, or something else here. There are only boysbands, stupid girls like Brittney, but much worse and cRAP or hip-hop. That is all. Cool?

to Dado-X: Recently I've started to read a book by a Brazilian writer Paolo Coelio(? sorry, I don't know how to write his name in a proper way in English) , and this book is about a girl that wanted to die. She was a Slovenian girl, she lived in your capital. And she was very angry when she saw a header in a newspaper's article that began with the words : "Where is Slovenia?". How do you think , Dado (sorry , don't know you real name) , how many people as a hole , and specifically at this forum know where is Slovenia? or Ukraine?

You American guys agreed that your president is a moron? Don't worry , our president (although you don't know him ) is even a greater moron. :)

RE: and specifically at this forum know where is Slovenia? or Ukraine.....I'll admit, I don't have a clue, would need a world map. But I'm glad you had the chance to find Symphony X + other good music, + this Forum. I, for one, appreciate you, and the opportunity to learn from you.

Music is a universal language, brings all people together. So, if the music and emotional element are great, but you don't understand the words, in these instances, perhaps the lyrical content doesn't even matter. I find this interesting, would be thrilled to hear Russ's comments on this. ;)

Hey, Russ.....!

Originally posted by Grom Hellscream
You know all, lyrics that is written by bands from UK, (for example, old Genesis, Arena, some Threshold...) is very different from lyrics written by all others.(including USA)
I understand absolutely nothing in their lyrics sometimes. Even with the vocabulary. Sometimes it looks like poetry more than like a text for a song.

So, maybe people in other countries are good in English, but not excelent.
In our country maybe 10% knows English a bit. No more. Although , in school they must take English lessons.

Music in our country sucks so much, that Slipknot or Britney Spears would be considered by myself as a national heroes if they were from here.
Honestly , I promise, you haven't heard such shit yet, as our people listen and like. The (if we can use that word?) lirics (but usually it is a stream of incoherent delirium) are usually written in Ukrainian or in Russian. Very seldom in English.

There is no metal, art-rock, prog, or something else here. There are only boysbands, stupid girls like Brittney, but much worse and cRAP or hip-hop. That is all. Cool?

to Dado-X: Recently I've started to read a book by a Brazilian writer Paolo Coelio(? sorry, I don't know how to write his name in a proper way in English) , and this book is about a girl that wanted to die. She was a Slovenian girl, she lived in your capital. And she was very angry when she saw a header in a newspaper's article that began with the words : "Where is Slovenia?". How do you think , Dado (sorry , don't know you real name) , how many people as a hole , and specifically at this forum know where is Slovenia? or Ukraine?

You American guys agreed that your president is a moron? Don't worry , our president (although you don't know him ) is even a greater moron. :)

Hey there, my real name is Dado (without the x :D )
I think Ukraine is a bit better known country than Slovenia. We are ultra-tiny country (only 2 million inhabitants), where nothing really happens, y'know?. We never had any celebrities, dictators or famous sportsmen to come from our country. So, really I can't blame someone from Alabama if he never heard of Slovenia. :)
However, I am not affiliated with that ceirtaint book you mentioned. Did she want to die because she read the article in newspaper? I'll have to check it out, I guess...
Same here with the music...
Here are some most awful bands, I've ever heard in my entire life. I'm sure Ukraine is not that bad. If it's anything like Russian music, I'd say you're zillion times better than us.
Anyway, it's nice to hear from a fellow Slav. :)

Besides, isn't Vitalij Kuprij from Ukraine??

I'm terrybly sorry, but I know nothing about Vitaliy Kupriy. I'll try to get that kind of knowledge.

About the girl that wanted to die: no , she wanted to die for two simple reasons : first , she was 25 , and she thought her youth left, and her life would be worse and worse, and second is that this world is f**king going to a big ass, this world is going to DIE, and she has no reason to live in it, but ... she found very interesting to write a last letter , where she would explain that she finished with her life because the world new nothing about her country, she thought that would be a nice joke :)

for Pharoah : thanks for understanding :) Bisides , what do you mean about Russ comments?? I don't get it?

The REAL Russ!! (Sorry.) But it's good to hear from you, †Russel Allen†®. I'll explain my initial intent to even post this thread....SymX performs for so many people who can't understand the lyrics or what they mean. But...they love this music. I never read an interview where Russ or Mike R. talked about this. Russ reads the Forum sometimes. I was hoping maybe he would comment here or maybe in an interview sometime. :rolleyes:
The "real" Russell Allen is a Forum member and has posted as RUSSELL ALLEN,

I'm really into lyrics, and have been listening to some really good songs from Brazilian and European bands lately. These replies are interesting. Thanks. :)

P.S. Hey †Russel Allen†®...snowing here again!