Drum tabs for Paradise Lost songs

Nov 20, 2006
Chicago
Does anyone have any drum tabs for any Paradise Lost songs? I'm not a drummer, but I love analyzing all aspects of Symphony X's music (strange, I know).

Any drum tabs from other Symphony X albums are appreciated, as well. I've only been able to find a handful on the net (Sea of Lies, Sins and Shadows, King of Terrors, Witching Hour, Divine Wings, Accolade, Dressed to Kill).

Thanks!

I gotta say I don't get the point of drum tabs... I mean, guitar tabs are understandable (I'm usually too lazy to figure out SX songs), but with drums? There are only like 10 things he might be hitting, and they all sound pretty different.

Sorry, I just read that and it makes me sound like I'm being a dick, which isn't what I intended.

And there is figuring out the BPM. I can't really tell you what BPM a song is at but if you put me in front of some drums I could probably play the main beat of the song at the correct time lol.

Rullo does some crazy stuff though and even listening to it makes me think this would be hard to figure out.

A lot of the ultimate-guitar.com guitar pro tabs have the drums in them, but they are all not accurate. They could just be used for a general outline to help you figure out the more advanced stuff. But sometimes the Guitar Pro tabs on that site are actually pretty good.

And there is figuring out the BPM. I can't really tell you what BPM a song is at but if you put me in front of some drums I could probably play the main beat of the song at the correct time lol.

Rullo does some crazy stuff though and even listening to it makes me think this would be hard to figure out.

A lot of the ultimate-guitar.com guitar pro tabs have the drums in them, but they are all not accurate. They could just be used for a general outline to help you figure out the more advanced stuff. But sometimes the Guitar Pro tabs on that site are actually pretty good.

Its pretty lame that most tabs for any song on the internet are not accurate. I have gotten like 4 or 5 songs of the internet and i have had to modify all of them to get them accurate....
O well

Redragon

I don't like working with drum TABS per se, but actual notated charts.

Is there any particular part you want to learn about? I can probably do something rough. For example, the verses in Set The World on Fire:

Code:
H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.
BBBB..BBBB..BBBB..BBBB.BBBBBBBBB
....S.......S.......S.......S...
'ish

I can generally work out most of Rullo's parts given enough time, although depending on the recording and exactly what he's playing it's sometimes difficult to pick things exactly - eg. the opening fill in The Eyes of Medusa after the intro.

I don't like working with drum TABS per se, but actual notated charts.

Is there any particular part you want to learn about? I can probably do something rough. For example, the verses in Set The World on Fire:

Code:
H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.H.h.
BBBB..BBBB..BBBB..BBBB.BBBBBBBBB
....S.......S.......S.......S...
'ish

I can generally work out most of Rullo's parts given enough time, although depending on the recording and exactly what he's playing it's sometimes difficult to pick things exactly - eg. the opening fill in The Eyes of Medusa after the intro.

I was just looking for the drum tabs (or charts) for any of the songs on Paradise Lost. No particular parts, though. Well... maybe the intro to Babylon. Those first few minutes are great.

One question - in the chart above for Set the World on Fire, is what's the H and h stand for? I know it's the hi-hat, but is it open or closed? Are the big H's just accented hits?

95% of drummers pick up parts by ear. Theres really no point in going through charts, since we're usually just laying down the groove/fill, and then picking our spots for some flash. The only time I ever used charts was in a few various jazz groups where I just used them for cues to set up the rest of the band.

I use capitals in tabs to represent accents, Detective :).

UrinalCakeMix - I agree to some extent, but I find that it's often easier to sit down and chart out a particularly difficult section by ear than to just listen and 'hope' to get it right. Sometimes, of course. I had to actually notate the bassdrum pattern for Eyes of Medusa before I was able to play it because I just simply couldn't remember how it went and while I was 'hearing' the pattern, it wasn't making any sense, if you get my meaning.

UrinalCakeMix - I agree to some extent, but I find that it's often easier to sit down and chart out a particularly difficult section by ear than to just listen and 'hope' to get it right. Sometimes, of course. I had to actually notate the bassdrum pattern for Eyes of Medusa before I was able to play it because I just simply couldn't remember how it went and while I was 'hearing' the pattern, it wasn't making any sense, if you get my meaning.

That was a tough one for me at first... it's the polyrhythms that get ya! A simple pattern being repeated with an odd time signature and a 4/4 sounding ride and snare pattern overtop. I can play it now and it's pretty damn fun :headbang:

Side note: For songs like Eyes of Medusa, it's best not to learn the beats bar for bar during the polyrhythms and remembering the way the patterns sound, but to just learn to play the 2 patterns and time signatures simultaneously, therefore, saving a lot of memory space.

You can take the verse pattern and just view it as a fucked up 4/4 bass drum pattern, but it's actually easier in the end to just take the bass drum pattern seperately from the rest and learn it as a polyrhythm.

Heh, funny thing is that I didn't actually sit down and spend enough time working it out before it 'clicked' and I can (I think) just play along with it.

I still don't exactly know what it is I'm playing :). Care to enlighten? :)

Heh, funny thing is that I didn't actually sit down and spend enough time working it out before it 'clicked' and I can (I think) just play along with it.

I still don't exactly know what it is I'm playing :). Care to enlighten? :)

The song has about 4 different polyrhythm sections on the drums... pick a part of the song you'd like to learn first and I'll try my best to explain it. I'm sure once I explain one of them, you'll understand the others with some analyzing :)

Well I can do the intro part without any problem, it's the verse and chorus that I haven't quite figured out in my head, although I think I'm playing along with it accurately.

Well I can do the intro part without any problem, it's the verse and chorus that I haven't quite figured out in my head, although I think I'm playing along with it accurately.

I'll explain the verse pattern...

The bass drum is playing a pattern in 5/8 using 16th notes.

The pattern is as follows: B B . B B B B B . B, which is a sequence of 10 16th notes (5/8). That pattern repeats while the snare and high-hat keep a 4/4 groove going overtop of it.

Together, they look like this:

Code:
B B . B B B B B . B B B . B B B B B . B B B . B B B B B . B B B 
H . . . H . . . H . . . H . . . H . . . H . . . H . . . H . . .
. . . . S . . . . . . . S . . . . . . . S . . . . . . . S . . .

I'm showing two bars of 4/4 here, but the pattern takes 4 bars of 4/4 until it lines up again. If the high-hat and snare were twice the speed, it'd only take 2 bars to line up again.

When I want to learn a pattern, I just put it on my Mp3 player, throw on the headphones, get behind the kit, and Jam it till its tight as a virgin's ass. My method has yet to fail me personally, so I'll continue to use it till it does. If notating works for you, thats cool too.

I only notate things when they're too complicated to learn correctly by ear, or at least when it'll be quicker for me to notate it then take it to the kit.

I thought I'd throw this out there for the drummers on the forum.

One of my favourite beats by Rullo is the beat that starts around 2:45 in The Divine Wings of Tragedy.

I'm not sure if I've made it out perfectly, but this is how I believe it to be played, and I recommend trying it out. It's really fun to play.

4/4 - 8th note triplets - I use hand pattern R L R L R R L R R L R L which has left hand on high-hat and snare, and right hand on ride and ride bell.

r = ride, h = high-hat, R = ride bell, b = bass, s = snare
Code:
r h r . r R h r R . r h
. . . s . . . . . s . .
b . b . . b . b b . . .

Even if it is not correct, there is fun to be had. Enjoy!