Lyrics of NITND and parallels between TGCD and NITND

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Does anyone feel like commenting on the lyrics of the songs on the new album? Also, what do you think are the major similarities and differences between The Great Cold Distance and Night is the New Day both musically, vocally, lyrically, and production-wise?

Any thoughts? Cheers!

White cloud.

The difference between the two albums is NitND is a lot more varied, each song has it's own character, and it's definitely more melodically sound. Ofc the heavier use of keys is also a factor, which makes for a more ambient sound. I also think NitND productionwise has more character.

There's one thing for sure, TGCD has huge choruses and NITND hasn't got... The vocals are less melodic. Hollow...

I don't agree with any of this. I still don't know what's so huge about TGCD choruses ... The Longest Year, Onward Into Battle, and Liberation have much catchier choruses than anything on TGCD. Vocally the new record is definitely the more melodic of the two.

I don't agree with any of this. I still don't know what's so huge about TGCD choruses ... The Longest Year, Onward Into Battle, and Liberation have much catchier choruses than anything on TGCD. Vocally the new record is definitely the more melodic of the two.

I don't know but to my ears Leaders, My Twin, July, In The White, Deliberation and Follower have catchier choruses. And I don't even talk about LFDGD. NITND is a total loser about choruses compared to other albums...

And I think NITND hasn't got that Katatonic coldness in it. A warmer album is ok with me but it's not a LFDGD warmth. It's not so melodic, it's not so heavy, it's not so cold, it's not so mellow... It's like stuck somewhere in between. It's not a characteristic album like VE either. I like dynamics, but this one has lost its' feeling while trying to achieve that purpose. It's just an OK album with a couple of OK songs in my eyes. I wish that would change...

Again I dunno about that. It's got some of very most mellow moments throughout the entire record. Plus Inheritance, and Idol Blood are two of their most mellow songs altogether. Then it's got some extremely crushing moments like the riffs in Forsaker. It's a well balanced record, and that's definitely a good thing.

I don't know but to my ears Leaders, My Twin, July, In The White, Deliberation and Follower have catchier choruses. And I don't even talk about LFDGD. NITND is a total loser about choruses compared to other albums...

And I think NITND hasn't got that Katatonic coldness in it. A warmer album is ok with me but it's not a LFDGD warmth. It's not so melodic, it's not so heavy, it's not so cold, it's not so mellow... It's like stuck somewhere in between. It's not a characteristic album like VE either. I like dynamics, but this one has lost its' feeling while trying to achieve that purpose. It's just an OK album with a couple of OK songs in my eyes. I wish that would change...
Wow, I agree with every single word, man.

I know that Katatonia's lyrics are always so twisted that is nearly impossible to get the real meaning but something has been catching my attention lately. In Unfurl and Liberation I've found a similar phrase:

Unfurl:
Releasing the vapour
Into the lung
Letting the wings unfurl
And for a moment i feel young
I call on the bird
Unfurl

Liberation:
I wave from the edge of the pier
And fade into dreams of sleepers
Marked
I have had this stain for a long time
We called on the bird long before

I've been wondering what's the meaning of "call on the bird". It might be because english is not my native language but anyway, I've been searching for the meaning and I've found nothing by the moment. Does anyone here know what it could mean?

To me, one main similarity of not only the last two but ALL Kata- albums is that each of them is better than the already awesome predecessor. I can't think of any other band who's constantly improving on such a high level and still going on up the stairs.

About the bird- thing: There's also the dead bird on the BMD cover and Passing Bird. Not sure about any connection/ interpretation. There was a question about this in an older interview but right now I can't recall the bands answer, sorry...

And there's this "the bird is here, I can see the edge of its' wing" in VE in Sleeper. It's possible there's sth. special behind the word bird. It's always up to interpretation it can be whatever you want...

I didn't know it but it makes sense. In context it could be either love or death, depends on the song and the context...

Nice! Let's see if there's more interpretations on the next posts :)

I agree that I don't hear where the choruses are supposedly so much more catchy on TGCD versus NITND. As with TGCD, I seem to find the verses on NITND more catchy/enjoyable than many of the choruses. Apart from "In The White" and "My Twin", I am not so much blown away by any of the other choruses on TGCD. On NITND, I find "Onward Into Battle" and "The Promise Of Deceit" to have pretty catchy choruses. "Leaders" nor "Deliberation" has no more a catchy chorus to me than "Day And Then The Shade" or "The Longest Year" has. So I do not understand where everyone hears these big choruses at. I suppose with most of the bands I listen to, at all of the choruses, the singers always let go vocally and really belt out the lyrics and let their voices soar. Katatonia doesn't do that, Jonas is much more subdued and soothing type voice. It works great for the style of music they make, but I cannot consider Katatonia a "catchy/big chorus band".

However, I don't know if I would say NITND is "definitely" more melodic vocally than TGCD though. I wish Jonas would have used more of the eerie melisma vocal techniques on NITND that he used on TGCD. That was one thing I missed not having quite as much of. Still, NITND is such a fantastic piece of work that I literally have to struggle to find bad things to say about it (save for the 2nd half of that one song which shall not be named again by me). :p
Jack