Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven

was listening to this. The Kiss of Babylon is total jack-off worthy. I love the la-la-la la-la thing they got going.

The album kinda starts losing me the second half, though.

"The Storm Still Rages Inside" is pretty hypnotic. Just skip to track #11 and behold the majesty of all the Orphaned Land elements coming together as one.

That is great. What a setlist as well - glad they don't shy away from playing stuff from El Norra Alila and Sahara.

Hopefully they'll come to the USA one day....yeah, like that'll happen. Although being on CM might be a plus.

Just when I think I'm done with ProgPower....if Glenn managed to get Orphaned Land, I'd be there in a shot. He should really start delving into the US underground a bit more as well, but that would be doubtful.

I need to dig this CD-R out, I have near zero recollection of it. All I remember is that it started off with some cheese, then got pretty good. "To the book depository!"

NAD - what you should do is dig out a single album like this and just absorb it fully. I really think you've got swamped in too many CD-Rs that end up acting as 'samplers', you know? It seems to be killing your 'spirit' somewhat (just an observation as a bystander, otherwise ignore me).

Orphaned Land (whether it be their death/doom excursion with El Norra Alila or the new epic death/prog Mabool) will take many, many listens....I only just got round to the debut album....but at the end of the day, you really have to trust your instincts I suppose. Most people who give Orphaned Land a chance end up seeing how unique they are, and it all becomes quite magical.

If you don't have time, because it is an extremely exhaustive album -- like the good ol' days when you'd sit and read along with all the words to the big epic albums -- skip to track #12, headphones on, and use that as an example of how incredible the band is. That song really clinches the deal for me.

#1 album of 2004, no brainer.

JayKeeley said:
NAD - what you should do is dig out a single album like this and just absorb it fully. I really think you've got swamped in too many CD-Rs that end up acting as 'samplers', you know? It seems to be killing your 'spirit' somewhat (just an observation as a bystander, otherwise ignore me).
Yep. Which is why I've virtually ignored my CD-R pile for a few months now. I'll grab Mabool on an evening I can focus on it though

84 CD-Rs = 84 promos

My next batch of reviews will all be of albums that I love, and have some deeper meaning to me. I myself need to recharge....

Agreed. I need to review all this stoner stuff I've been nutting over lately, it has the potential to rule muchly, and thusly even. :headbang:

Reactions: Dead_Lioness
For the love of all things holy and un, the transition at 6:25 to 6:30 to the nylon stringed classical/flamenco guitar in "Storm Still Rages Inside" is genius: 5 seconds of silence, the dust settles, and then the recurring riff kicks back in, and two minutes later the choirs arrive.....

I need to revise the score on this album -> 9.5/10

"PROFOUND LORE RECORDS is pleased to announce the official release of Orphaned Land's 2004 critically-acclaimed release MABOOL (under license form Century Media) on double gatefold LP, limited to 500 copies. This limited vinyl release will be presented in a golden brown vinyl colour and include new artwork, lyric inserts and a collectible postcard.

The album will be released early summer 2005."

Don't know if this has been mentioned. They're up to it again. These guys release too much crap I have to buy.

Sign me up for one now, muthfukkas! I'll add it to my Orphaned Land expense account for '05 fiscal year:

1 x NY to Atlanta roundtrip (first class)
3 x nights Marriott Hotel
1 x ProgPower VIP Gold Badge
1 x Orphaned Land shirt (LS)
1 x Mabool on vinyl

I've listened to this twice now. A few thoughts:

1) This is going to take a while to absorb. Much more dense than ANA or Sahara. This is because...

2) There is SO MUCH GOING ON in the songs, you have to constantly pay attention. Not an album to put on and start reading or something. It has everything one could want thrown in: jangly middle-eastern stuff, keyboard solos, guitar solos, huge riffing, choirs, fantastic vocals, etc. It's greatness compacted into 65 minutes.

3) The guitarwork is jaw-dropping.

4) It's prog. Pure and simple.

I'm going to be spinning this one many more times.

Dick Sirloin said:
4) It's prog. Pure and simple.

Funny you say that. When ripping this one for my iPod, I was like, hmmm, where do I put it? (FYI, I use simple Black, Death, Doom, Heavy, Power, Prog, Viking for my metal genres).

I immediately was like, duh, Prog. So I'm withya.

When I first reviewed this, it was an 8.75/10.

A year later, it was a 9.75/10.

Saw them live at ProgPower, listened to it a little more, and yep, it's 10/10.

Certainly one of the best releases of the last 10 years, no exaggeration.

I like inserting paragraph breaks for each new sentence.