Mac Pro Quad-core or 12-core?

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
So, our studio is moving from PC-based to Mac-based soon, and I'm debating between the Mac Pro Quad Core and the 12-core. Looks like they no longer do the 8-core option.

It would be basically stock with a couple more terabyte drives added on.

So....thoughts guys? Is it worth the extra scratch for the 12 cores? We will be doing a bit of video post, but not a huge amount.

Have a look in the Apple Refurb store for the 8-core Pros. Saw one in there the other day on the UK site, so I'm sure there'd be one on the US site.

Ive been looking into getting a 8 core and they seem to be going for $900-$1000 used on craigslist. I'd look into that if the studio is willing to go used

If you can afford it go for the 12core. I got a 6core i7 and i run out of CPU on every project, mainly because of the glue and Slate Vcc on upsampling options enabled.

buy refurbished, or if you want new you might wanna wait for a while. i heard they've got plans to revamp the whole mac pro line so there's probably newer processor technology, maybe even a whole new design

12-core if you can swing it, no question. You have to consider longevity. An 8-core won't be able to keep up with a 12-core over the years, considering the new plugs that will come out and the resources they need, etc. However, either way you can't go wrong.