The new Mac Pro is NUTS.

im sure the price will be pretty high, then have to spend more money on an expansion chassis, no thanks! but if you don't need any pci slots should be pretty cool

Pixar and The Foundry (plugin/software developpers which softwares are used in hollywood movies now) have been using a mac pro already apparently. Adobe as well, so that they can prepare their CS suite to be fully ready with the architecture when the mac pro is released.

A comparable AMD dual card S10000 GPU costs 3599 dollars ATM (but what I have read doesn't say if this is the most expensive one or if the basic mac pro will already feature them). The mac pro dual GPU is more powerful so in theory it would cost even more. But there is no way they propose a 10k computer, I'm sure there will be a nice surprise with the final cost of the unit compared to the price it would have made assembling the parts. They certainly made a deal with AMD and Intel, happy to sell more of their high end products which will certainly be featured for a few years on the unit, so that they can bundle the whole thing for a decent price. They will certainly do like the previous Mac Pro, an "affordable" basic setup up to an astonishingly expensive high end product. I think it's gonna be too expensive for little business in the beginning but that it is build to last another 5 to 8 years.

The S9-10k cards are the same GPU as the 7950/7970's. Different firmware and drivers. Not a $3500 piece of hardware from Apple or AMD's perspective, yay margins. The thermals and impeller is the most intiguing part of the whole design to me. The rest is just a mobile xeon.

Why would you want this machine? Seems to be inappropriate for audio applications. How could you benefit from those 2 expensive graphic cards?

Just to put it in a bit of perspective, the processor alone on the 6-core machine costs ~$1500. The graphics cards on it are ~$600/ea. You're at nearly $3k right there with just the actual CPU and GPUs themselves. Factor in the RAM, SSD, mobo, custom cooling setup, case, etc. and the price they're offering it at isn't that outrageous. The biggest issue that comes into play is the gap that Apple has created now. There are lots of pro users out there who would love to have that processing power, and yet, they don't need those insane GPUs. They're forced to either stick with an iMac or shell out big bucks for this new Mac Pro and never utilize it to its full potential.

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong processor. It's a single E5-1650V2, like you pointed out. In that case, there's a pretty big markup there. Really makes you wonder why they're not including a keyboard or mouse?

I own a Macbook Air, and I quite like it, but the whole Apple thing is becoming a giant wank, and this is evidence.

Yesterday, your iPad 16 was perfectly fine and functional, but upon the release of the iPad 17, which is 1 mm thinner, you're iPad 16 is now obsolete and you are filthy and unfashionable. Upgrade, peons!

FWIW I just spec'd a dell T3600 comparably to the 6-core mac and came out at $3884.95. Granted apple is nickel and diming you to death with the keyboard and mouse.

TBH, the pricing doesn't seem any less inflated than apple.

+1, I basically built that same exact computer... except mine has 32 GB of RAM a second 1TB 7200 RPM drive and an nVidia GTX 660Ti, for less than half the price of that thing... and it can run OSX, too :eek:

Seeing the spec i can't understand the price? So you're paying like 2k extra for the logo? Or am i overlooking something?

That's what it literally comes down to and that's why I built a hack. When I ran my hack specs through a custom mac pro build on apple.com it was priced over $5k, my hack cost $1,960 meaning they up-sell over 250% JUST for that apple logo.

So instead of spending $3k for apple to put their logo on my computer I spent $2.50 for two apple stickers and slapped them on. :popcorn: