Mac Pro won't start up

Parka Dez

Jun 30, 2009
I was doing some mixing earlier on today and my Mac Pro was doing fine.

I come home and go to turn it on and there are these green lines in groups of 3 across my screen. No idea whats going on. My computer then crashes and won't go any further and says hold down power button to turn off the computer.

Has anyone had this problem before? Is my graphics card dead? Any info would be much appreciated.

It is a 2008 Mac Pro 8core, if that helps at all.

if you go to the console in utilities, you can probably find the kernel panic log in library/logs/panicreporter and it may give you a hint as to what caused the panic. Could potentially be graphics card since you seemed to be having a glitch in the display before it happened.

I have a 2008 8-core Mac Pro as well... Never had this exact issue (I hope I don't!), although not long after I got it (August 2008), for a few days in a row I had some random green lines and just overall graphics weirdness glitching on the screen, but it went away and I didn't see them again since. Within the last three months though, I had a far more extreme graphics issue (crazy lines and colors all over the majority of the surface area of the screen) just randomly appear for no reason while running a Pro Tools session, but it disappeared suddenly and again, I haven't seen a thing since. Very odd...

Lydon - I can't get to console, as my computer won't load past the start up screen. Not even in safe mode.

Aaron - That's really strange....I've been told reseting PRAM sorts out issues like this, but I think my problem is one stage further than that. So could possibly be a hardware issue for the graphics card or RAM.

Lydon - I can't get to console, as my computer won't load past the start up screen. Not even in safe mode.

Aaron - That's really strange....I've been told reseting PRAM sorts out issues like this, but I think my problem is one stage further than that. So could possibly be a hardware issue for the graphics card or RAM.

Damn. Have you tried re-installing the OS? If it happens with a fresh OS install, its most likely hardware.

At this moment in time, I can't open the disc drive to put in the software disc, so I can't even try that.

I'm going to take it down to the Apple store, as I'm luckily still under Apple Care!

At this moment in time, I can't open the disc drive to put in the software disc, so I can't even try that.

I'm going to take it down to the Apple store, as I'm luckily still under Apple Care!

Hold down the mouse when you turn the machine on, this will eject the drive.