Macbook problems?

freddrik

Jan 5, 2006
Hi!

I was planning to make the PC-->MAC switch and buy a new Macbook Core 2 Duo at the end of this month but ran into a lot of macbook-bashing threads on some messageboards. A lot of people are really disappointed with their macbook purchase and are returning them. Problems like: melted power cords, discolorations, random shutdowns, heat problems, various noises and just overall bad build quality were pretty common.
I've never heard of this before :erk:

I am sure it gets a little overhyped since it's Apple product but.. Do any of you guys had these kind of problems with your macbooks?

I do think that one of the firmware updates was to handle a random shut down thing. As for the rest, it's hard to say if those are real problems of any great prevalence or simply user error (melted power cord WTF?).

That said, some people do not actually update their OS and stuff right away, if ever... o_O

Hi!

I was planning to make the PC-->MAC switch and buy a new Macbook Core 2 Duo at the end of this month but ran into a lot of macbook-bashing threads on some messageboards. A lot of people are really disappointed with their macbook purchase and are returning them. Problems like: melted power cords, discolorations, random shutdowns, heat problems, various noises and just overall bad build quality were pretty common.
I've never heard of this before :erk:

I am sure it gets a little overhyped since it's Apple product but.. Do any of you guys had these kind of problems with your macbooks?

Owned mine since June, here's what I can say...

Never heard of melting power cords. Ever.

Discoloration - Mine's got it... the first 6 months or so of production used a plastic on the inside surfaces of the laptop that gets dirty really easily - there are darker spots where my palms rest and where I click on the trackpad. This issue has been resolved, though, and any produced after August are fine.

Random shutdowns weren't often, only lasted about a month, and only happened right on awakening from sleep. They were fixed with a firmware update last month.

Weird noises would be chirping from the fan - only the first couple months of production units had these, and it's since been fixed with a firmware update.

That said, there was a batch in July that had bad ethernet ports - My sister got stuck with one. The only issue it had, actually, was that you had to jerry-rig the ethernet cable with a paperclip to get the pins to make contact.

I honestly think the teething period for these is over - I'd have no worries buying a new Mac!

Just got my MacBook 5 days ago. I must say that I have never been so pleased with a computer before! Just love it! No problems so far.. And damn its fast! Faster than anything Ive ever tried. (well, my old Pc was a P4.. )