Made a video review: AMT Electronics P-1, S-drive and Vt-drive

Max Morton

Sep 21, 2008
UA, Kyiv
www.maxmorton.com
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've last posted here and I hope I'm posting in a right section of a forum.
Anyway - here's my humble debut video review. I've tested three solid state preamps by AMT: P-1 (think 5150), S-drive (think Soldano) and Vt-drive (think VHT if I'm not mistaken). I used Mesa Mark IV poweramp in class A mode into Mesa OS Cab miked with a single sm57 (you can see two on a video, but I ended up using one of them, as usual:) )

Sorry for the poor vid quality, my camera is old and cheap. Never thought it would grow on me like that, now I'm choosing something good to shoot lots of videos:)

Here's the link to the mp3:
http://www.maxmorton.com/AMT_test_by_Max_Morton.zip

Ah, and by the way, the drums you hear in this test are my own Kontakt sample library, except for the kick, which is SSD3.5. I'm currently beta-testing my drums, adding some more sampled cymbals and kicks. Hope I gonna make it available for free this early spring:)

Please comment:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprisingly close between the real Peavey and the AMT. Good vid. I've been planning on picking up an S-1 for a good while but haven't made a Thomann order in a while.

Surprisingly close between the real Peavey and the AMT. Good vid. I've been planning on picking up an S-1 for a good while but haven't made a Thomann order in a while.

Aah, please note that I've made a typo my video (realized it too late), sorry. It's not S-1, it's S-drive, a totally different thing. I personally enjoyed it, feels very natural and has a great crunchy tone. I think I'll post more examples in the future.

And yeah, the P-1 is very close! It feels a bit different (real amp feels more gluey and pleasing as for me, but the stompbox is a bit easier to play). It really rocks in live situations, in my opinion. We often use P-1's on the gigs.