A blind test: Peavey 5150 vs AMT P1 (video)

Really impressing! I also preferred the pedal sounds. I just discovered that AMT also offers a 3 watt power-amp in a pedal with presence and resonance controls so you can use both the preamp and the power-amp pedal with a cabinet. Further it looks like AMT is preparing to release the Series 2 Pedals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'm sold....I'm not sure why the highs are so surpressed on the pedal though? Almost sounds lowpassed in comparison to the 5150... I'm really shocked, the 5150 was tighter, with more note clarity, while the pedal was beefier and smudgier...I expected quite the opposite.

Half right, good enough for me to grab one of deez when I have $130 burning a hole in my pocket! I'd love to hear an equally well-done test comparing their other models (especially the R1 and E1)

Half right, good enough for me to grab one of deez when I have $130 burning a hole in my pocket! I'd love to hear an equally well-done test comparing their other models (especially the R1 and E1)

The new 2 channel series has me really stoked...Diezel, Engl, 5150, Rectifier, JCM800, Krank, Soldano, Cornford, Bogner/Hafler Triple Giant, Orange, and VHT...jesus. And around $170 each it looks like.

EDIT: Imagine live, splitting your guitar signal so that one end goes to your TS and a 5150 or something, and the other goes to one of these 2 channel pedals and into FX return... Just footswitch your FX loop for some (hopefully good) cleans or a new flavor of high gain.

The new 2 channel series has me really stoked...Diezel, Engl, 5150, Rectifier, JCM800, Krank, Soldano, Cornford, Bogner/Hafler Triple Giant, Orange, and VHT...jesus. And around $170 each it looks like.

Did you find some info regarding the series 2 pedals on the net somewhere? I only found Freds video so far. I'm really excited about these pedals after hearing the blind test.

So, it was GTR 1 - AMT thru mark IV poweramp, then GTR 2 - Mark IV preamp/poweramp? Sorry, just was confused when watching that video of what was actually being used.

So, it was GTR 1 - AMT, then GTR 2 - Mark IV? Sorry, just was confused when watching that video of what was actually being used.

Sorry for the confusion - I was recording takes in the tone room (which I usually avoid) and had only one camera angle:) It was my very first video, so I tried to compensate the crappy pic quality with some editing:)
So, guitar 1/guitar 2 are just the takes. Left/Right guitar, etc.

All the stuff went through the Mesa poweramp. With EQ disengaged on P1.

Sorry for the confusion - I was recording takes in the tone room (which I usually avoid) and had only one camera angle:) It was my very first video, so I tried to compensate the crappy pic quality with some editing:)
So, guitar 1/guitar 2 are just the takes. Left/Right guitar, etc.

All the stuff went through the Mesa poweramp. With EQ disengaged on P1.

Ah ok. I thought maybe you were maybe running the respective amp to each pedal off and out-of-view from the camera or something, but noticed the Mesa was powered on.

633595808518524435-owned.jpg

yeah...well....not really ^^

[...]Riff1A and Riff2B sound brighter than the counterparts, I dig it more than the others, soundwise....so I'm gonna say those are the 5150[...]

I think the hard part was that the 5150 had more highs in it, which somehow made a lot of guys think it could be the pedal...emulations tend to have more fizzyness in generall imo, at least from what I heared so far...so at first I thought that too (more highs=pedal), but went with my guts on this one, cause the tone with more highs just felt better...really not easy to say tho.

But again, awesome job non the less! It showed how close the pedal is through the same poweramp. And the riffs were bitchin too :D

I wanna thanks again to all your good words about my efforts:) It's a great source of motivation - especially when written by the people I respect.

Mago: I was thinking about this minor mismatch and was fiddling with the treble tone knob on 5150. Found that it's extremely sensible in the 5-6 area. So perhaps I cranked it up with too much passion. Anyway, we always learn:) Found another favorite amp + mic setting tonight, thanks to the comments in this thread: 7-2.5-5 , resonance 0, presence 9. and a single Akg C414 on the speaker. Silky smooth, tight and mix-ready. Gonna post some clips in the near future:)

0 Resonance?
I always change up the treble-presence relationship depending on the project...
I find that you can crank the treble knob if you keep presence a bit lower, on my 6505+ at least!
Mids are fine anywhere from 1 to 3.5 with me