Magic

It's really magical, yesterday I picked up my belated Christmas present at one of the language schools where I teach, and it took me 15 minutes to unwrap it cause of the sophisticated fancy wrapping, and lo and behold! it was The Alchemist :D

Dhatura said:
It's really magical, yesterday I picked up my belated Christmas present at one of the language schools where I teach, and it took me 15 minutes to unwrap it cause of the sophisticated fancy wrapping, and lo and behold! it was The Alchemist :D
i just finished reading that last night. as a book it's piss poor but as a lesson its top notch :D

well the guy with the skin tights (who shall be joining us shortly) was tlaking to me last night on the net and we were talking about astral planes and that, well he was telling me a few things and admittedlyan interest has been sparked :hotjump: shall be reading more around the area and ultimately attempt to 'journey down the path' - whether ornot i'llget results is unimportant, its the learning that counts ;)

my views on magic:

i believe that quite a good number of "magic" healing successes may be based on placebo effects. if the receiver of the healing is really sure that this is gonna work, it will eventually, just because he doesn't accept failure.
magic deals with things humans cannot explain. surely it was a magical experience when gunpowder was invented, but once humans learned a deal about it, it became normal. still there are a lot of things left unexplained by human minds, especially in physiology and psychology, and that's the ground upon which magic may still be active.
for me, magic is just a name for things which are there, displaying an unusual effect on the world or people. once this effect is explained, it still remains, but the terms change, maybe to acupuncture or pharmacy. maybe the real difference between science and magic is that science creates new things/effects on purpose, whereas magic does that "by accident".
i have had my share with tarot cards, and they displayed exactly what was happening around me. now this might be explained in some time; perhaps there is a subconscious part in our brain which deals with this sort of things, maybe it remembers how the cards are shuffeled or whatever, but i believe even these things have their explanation somewhere, and therefore i am not afraid of them. i am not afraid to use, say, given advice from cards. ok, i can't explain it, but if the right sort of things come out, why should i neglect this? 100 years ago people couldn't explain what it was that made certain herbs effective against a disease, but still they used them.

VultureCulture said:
my views on magic

surely, there might be things we cant yet explain, therefore we label it 'magic' - as we 'ignorantly' did all over human history. but there are people claiming they have certain psychic talents they are able to control in a manner to let accidents happen on purpose.

i think seeing the percentage of the usage of our braincapacity, there's a lot of stuff we can discover about ourselves, as a human race cos i wont see the light of that day i reckon..

what magic could be about is right moment, right place, right energy.
but i do reckon some healers knew more than 100 yrs ago what it was that herbs contained to heal people. perhaps in combination with magick?

what about this feller mr. J. Christ. did he have magic(k)?

i'm quite of the same opinion there. what people call magic right now, even those who think they have some ability to let sth strange happen if they want it to: it's just the absence of an explanation that defines it as magic. you could as well compare "miracles" with magic, though i tend to define miracles of unexplainable origin where humans are not involved actively. magic would accordingly be something which requires a person to actively create/alter something.
i was just creating a link between pharmacy and magic because i thought the comparison would fit. of course so-called "witches" and "herbs-women" had their share of knowledge on which herbs to apply regarding a certain disease; a knowledge that was not broadely distributed and accepted among the rest of the population. that's what made it miraculous and magic in the people's eyes; for the "witches", well they just applied something they knew it would help (maybe because they were told by others, maybe because they tried out... whatever), but still they did not know why it did. then, once it is known, it's integrated into modern science and it loses its magic.

but speaking of usable brain capacity: i do as well believe that if we were fully capable to use that lump of meat, there would be things happening which we would possibly call magic right now. but it is not, it's just that we cannot understand it right now. but we will, eventually.

as for this jesus dude, i don't know... i'm maybe too biased to comment on that, so i'll just leave it out :)

Son of god? So does he actually have any family?
norris244.jpg

I though he was the LoneWolf. :erk: