Maiden "Best of" post Bruce comeback

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I talked a bit about this on the TFF thread. So if you had to fill up an 80 min CD from the last 4 cds, what songs would you choose? Ok before some joker says it - I know, you can't fill an 80 minute cd with anything worthwhile from the last 4 albums yeah yeah.. :)

my cd would be this and I might jolly well burn this when I get a moment..

Oddly enough I can only get 11 songs on it which is not surprising to be honest.

01. The Wicker Man 04:35
02. Dance of Death 08:37
03. Coming Home 05:52
04. The Nomad 09:06
05. The Fallen Angel 04:01
06. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns 08:44
07. The Talisman 09:03
08. Montségur 05:50
09. Ghost of the Navigator 06:50
10. Blood Brothers 07:14
11. Paschendale 08:28

78.20 running time

I talked a bit about this on the TFF thread. So if you had to fill up an 80 min CD from the last 4 cds, what songs would you choose? Ok before some joker says it - I know, you can't fill an 80 minute cd with anything worthwhile from the last 4 albums yeah yeah.. :)

my cd would be this and I might jolly well burn this when I get a moment..

Oddly enough I can only get 11 songs on it which is not surprising to be honest.

01. The Wicker Man 04:35
02. Dance of Death 08:37
03. Coming Home 05:52
04. The Nomad 09:06
05. The Fallen Angel 04:01
06. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns 08:44
07. The Talisman 09:03
08. Montségur 05:50
09. Ghost of the Navigator 06:50
10. Blood Brothers 07:14
11. Paschendale 08:28

78.20 running time

That's too much math for me. ;)

How about just a top 10 list from the last four discs?

For me, it would go like this:

1: The Wicker Man (4:35)
2: Dream of Mirrors (9:21)
3: Paschendale (8:28)
4: No More Lies (7:22)
5: New Frontier (5:04)
6: For The Greater Good of God (9:25)
7: These Colours Don't Run (6:52)
8: Isle of Avalon (9:06)
9: The Talisman (9:03)
10: The Man Who Would Be King (8:28)

running time: 77:44

01. The Wicker Man - 4:35
02. Montsegur - 5:50
03. These Colours Don't Run - 6:52
04. Isle Of Avalon - 9:06
05. Ghost Of The Navigator - 6:50
06. Paschendale - 8:28
07. Brave New World - 6:18
08. Mother Of Mercy - 5:20
09. Dream Of Mirrors - 9:21
10. Starblind - 7:48
11. Dance Of Death - 8:36

Total Time - 79:01

Mind you I'm doing the math on paper as I don't have iTunes in front of me to add up the times.

The Wicker Man (4:35)
Ghost of the Navigator (6:50)
Out of the Silent Planet (6:25)
Paschendale (8:28)
These Colours Don't Run (6:52)
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (8:44)
The Longest Day (7:48)
For the Greater Good of God (9:24)
Isle of Avalon (9:06)
When the Wild Wind Blows (10:59)

79:11, assuming I did the math correctly.

Oh how quickly we have forgotten The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. :(
That's the last song I dropped to get it under 80 minutes, with Talisman and Dream of Mirrors following it.

Compiling this list really drove home the point of how poorly Dance of Death has held up after a few years, at least for me. "Montsegur" and the title track would both be on here if I had more space, but even then I'd be adding songs from other albums before those.

That's the last song I dropped to get it under 80 minutes, with Talisman and Dream of Mirrors following it.

Compiling this list really drove home the point of how poorly Dance of Death has held up after a few years, at least for me. "Montsegur" and the title track would both be on here if I had more space, but even then I'd be adding songs from other albums before those.

Sounds like you need to add CD 2. :)

Interesting. I find myself in exactly the opposite situation regarding Dance of Death. I was so disappointed with DOD (I was expecting something more heavy and similar to Brave New World) that I only listened to it for a few weeks after it's release (9/2003) and it was literally shelved w/o a listen for over six years until I brought it out again this spring.

This time around it grew on me really fast (although Paschendale was a 10/10 for me back in 2003). There are still a few stinkers on DOD that I just can't get into - Montsegur being the most notable. The chorus is just sooooo repetitive and annoying to my ears. It grooves at times, but that chorus is a non-starter for me. Gates of Tomorrow is another simple song that gets repetitive and boring very fast.

In addition to Paschendale, Journeyman and Dance of Death are absolutely exceptional. No More Lies, Rainmaker, and The Age of Innocence are also very solid tracks I'm enjoying much more the second time around.

What about the post reunion live albums?

The Clansman 2001?
Lord of the Flies 2005?
"The Clansman" and "Sign of the Cross" with Bruce on vocals are absolutely awesome. I'm not even in the Blaze-hating camp per se, I just think that Bruce took those songs and took them to another level.

Lord of the Flies 2005?

This especially!!!!!

Death On The Road is my all-time favorite Maiden live album.
I am 100% serious, and YES, I do know that LIVE AFTER DEATH is an IRON MAIDEN album. I had the original gatefold version with tour programme when it came out. Know ALL about it.

There is something about the performance on DOTR that just really grabs me, unlike any other Maiden live set.

Oh how quickly we have forgotten The Thin Line Between Love and Hate. :(

You can count on me to never forget it!

Also, that sounds like a good song idea for the next Maiden album: "Oh How Quiiiiiiiiieyiiiiiiiieyiiiiickly We Have Forgaaaaaaauhaaaaaaaaauhaaaaaaatun The Thin Lieeeeeeyeyeyyyyyne Between Love And Haaaayeeeeayaaaate"

I have no idea if this order works, I just did it chronological. Seems I like the long ones. Huh. Who knew?

1. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (8:27)
2. Dream of Mirrors (9:21)
3. Dance of Death (8:37)
4. Journeyman (7:08)
5. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (8:46)
6. The Legacy (9:23)
7. Mother of Mercy (5:20)
8. Isle of Avalon (9:06)
9. When the Wild Wind Blows (11:02)

Total: 77:06

Good thread. Tough task. Would have liked to included, "When the Wind Blows" or "Starblind." At this point in time, here's what I'm feeling:

1. Brave New World (Murray/Harris/Dickinson) – 6:19
2. Blood Brothers (Harris) – 7:14
3. Dance Of Death (Gers/Harris) – 8:37
4. Paschendale (Smith/Harris) – 8:28
5. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg 
(Murray/Harris) – 7:22
6. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) – 7:48
7. Satellite 15…The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) – 8:41
8. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) – 5:20
9. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) – 5:52
10. Isle of Avalon (Smith/Harris) – 9:06

76:47

It's the only Bruce comeback album I don't like. The only tracks on there I dig are the title track, Paschendale and No More Lies.

This especially!!!!!

Death On The Road is my all-time favorite Maiden live album.
I am 100% serious, and YES, I do know that LIVE AFTER DEATH is an IRON MAIDEN album. I had the original gatefold version with tour programme when it came out. Know ALL about it.

There is something about the performance on DOTR that just really grabs me, unlike any other Maiden live set.

I have the dvd, not the album, but I think one of the reasons that one grabs me is it is much different than most of the others in terms of the setlist. Let's be honest most of their setlists through the years are pretty identical for the most part. This past tour, AMOLAD tour being exceptions as well. However, those haven't been released yet, if they ever will.