Major Metal Labels

Earache - This label is grindcore mostly...I think? Not that great.
Nuclear Blast - Mostly commercial garbage, some good stuff.
Century Media - This is probably the best one from what I remember, but mainly for their past lineup.
Relapse - Lame
Metal Blade - Mostly commecial melo death, not really my thing.

Yeah, I'd probably go with Century as the best.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Out of the top 5 major metal labels (Earache, Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Relapse, Metal Blade), which is the best? None, maybe? Do any of them have an ounce of credibility? DIscuss.

For me Nuclear Blast and Earache... they have the best bands i like to bands i dislike ratios.

For older releases, I think Earache has all of them beat--Entombed, Napalm Death, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Terrorizer, Bolt Thrower, Massacre, Cathedral, Brutal Truth, Extreme Noise Terror. Both Relapse and Nuclear Blast come really close though.

For newer albums, I'd go with Relapse. Although there's tons of bands they've signed that I don't care for (probably the majority) they've still released quality records be Shape of Despair, Daylight Dies, Cephalic Carnage, Rapture, Nasum, Necrophagist, Origin, Gadget etc.

I don't usually put much emphasis on what label a band is signed to, so for that reason I have no real opinion about the labels as entities in themselves.

High On Maiden said:
I don't usually put much emphasis on what label a band is signed to, so for that reason I have no real opinion about the labels as entities in themselves.

THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD!?

;)

Each label has at least one band I really like.

Metal Blade - Amon Amarth/Primordial
Earache - Arsis/Carcass/Entombed
Nuclear Blast - Dissection/Therion/Dimmu Borgir/Stratovarius
Century Media - Cryptopsy/Nevermore/Dark Tranquillity/Nightwish
Relapse - Mastodon/Origin/Nile/Cephalic Carnage

Remember how good Roadrunner used to be?

I think century media is the best they have some of my favorite bands. I like the DE headquarters alot.

I dont like nuclear blast because they turned down Thorns Of Ivy who are my favorite band.

It's a tough call. Historically, perhaps Earache. But then again, even Roadrunner once had an impressive roster. The fact the Earache signed The Chasm (to their Wicked World subdivision) speaks well for them. Metal Blade currently has Primordial and Bolt Thrower, but on the other hand, they also have the horrid As I Lay Dying. The only Relapse bands I like are Suffocation and Nile. Nuclear Blast has few good bands, and the same goes for Century Media.