MANCHESTER ACADEMY 26/4/2006

enzign

New Metal Member
Apr 26, 2006
Just got back from the gig in Manchester and while I did enjoy hearing some of the old classics, the show wasn't what I expected at all. It was like some 80's retro show and I couldn't help feeling a little disapointed as I was hoping to hear many more tracks from the last few excellent albums, especially Lion Heart. We only got Man & Machine. Where was "beyond the grave", "Lion Heart", "Killing Ground", "Cut out the disease", "Dogs of war", "Sea of life", "Terminal Velocity". I love the new stuff the band's been doing for the past 10 years! Saxon are a credible current sounding band who have moved on with the times but it didn't feel like it tonight. I was with 3 friends who all felt the same. It was a great gig for the ageing rockers who just wanted to relive their youth for one night but it all seemed a little sad and spinal tap to me. The quality of the bands current material is lightyears ahead of anything off the first album. I'm looking forward to the next studio album and a set that leaves the past where it should stay bar Midus touch, Crusader and 747! IMHO

hi enzign i agree that the setlist wasnt to evryones taste and they didnt play alot of my favourites for example crusader, eagle has landed ,thin red line but to be fair having such a back catalogue of music to play its hard to please everyone earlier this month we started a thread which gave people the chance to write there own saxon setlist (just for fun) check it out you have 21 songs to pick its really hard , my only critisisms of last night in manchester are that too many people got up on stage i paid my money to see saxon not some drunk fans (didnt they know they do a meet and greet after every show? and the fat bastard who thourght it would be fun to start his own mosh pit at the front (saxon are not that type of band that need a mosh pit) i just hope the fat twat fell under a bus or truck on his way home ,he wasnt a fan of the band and saxon dont need shitheads like him
ps thanks for the review its always nice to read other peoples points of view

God I havent posted on here for a while!
I really enjoyed last nights gig in manchester, no setlist complaints from me.
I met Doug and thought he was a top chap!!!
Best song of the night had to be 20,000 Feet.

Spinal Tap?? No, I think you must have been watching the Blitzkrieg set mate! (No offence to Blitzkrieg here!) It was commented on at Wolves by more than one person that the singer was very "Spinal Tap". In Saxon's defence (not that they need one!)...it was well advertised that they would be performing songs from the 80's/first couple of albums, etc...so if you didn't want to hear them, maybe you should have stayed at home :D
They did play Lionheart at London and Wolves, so it was nice to hear Man and Machine instead (although, given the choice, I'd have had English Man of War)...and they also played The Eagle has Landed and Crusader at those gigs too.

hi sammi
dont you think that perhaps they cut the set short because it was getting a bit out of hand down at the front i mean so many people on stage , mosh pit it was a very strange ) and at times a menacing atmosphere especially towards the end..... i got the set list from one of the roadies and where they always deviate somewhat from what they are supposed to play .....eagle was dropped and princess put in......now ive never been to a saxon gig and ive been to a few over the past 24 years where they havent played the eagle has landed and i would have bet my house that they were coming back on for a second encore with crusader also my wife came to pick me up and was stood in the entrance and the bouncers were not allowing anyone else in even though it wasnt last orders ..... very strange indeed

My ears are still ringing from the gig last night. Brill, I did feel like the oldest one there, but who cares, I was around in the 80's and in my 20's - when real music was played - non of the bobbins stuff that's on the radio these days. my son really enjoyed himself too. He hasn't been that close to a live band before and was well impressed. Mosh pit was a new thing 4 me to see. Glad I wasn't too close to it. I just wondered if it spoilt it for the guys on stage though? Long may you reign and come back to Manchester soon eh??

Sorry Timothy, I'm probably being a bit thick here, but I don't really know what you're trying to say re the Saxon gig in Manchester...However, I agree that the mosh pit palaver was bang out of order, as was the jumping on stage. I loved the fact that there were no barriers myself - but perhaps at future Manchester gigs, they will now have to have them because of a few idiots :( Just for the record though, the set wasn't cut short...Paxoman will be doing a full review of all the shows he/we were at...but I can tell you that they played 22 in London, 19 in both Wolves and Dublin, but 20 in Manchester. I don't know about the menacing atmosphere, it was fine where we were - just a bit annoying with the moshers and the wannabe rock stars jumping on the stage. I thought Biff and the lads coped with those idiots very well, and if they were pissed off at them, they hid it very well - like the true professionals they are :)

well it was the first time I've seen them since Bradford in 1981, they were very very good indeed. The moshers were hilarious, no problem for me. I would have been happy to have had more from the Lionheart album, but maybe next time eh lads! I took one picture which you can see here

hi sammi
the menacing atmosphere was created by the fat lad who was starting the mosh pit, i saw him head butt one lad who didnt like been crushed by him , and threaten to smack another lad who pushed him back, it was annoying to see as Saxon are on the way back and i dont want to see crowd attendances falling cos of morons , I know us veterans will be there as always through thick and thin but Saxon deserve to be up there with the best

timothy sykes said:
hi sammi
the menacing atmosphere was created by the fat lad who was starting the mosh pit, i saw him head butt one lad who didnt like been crushed by him , and threaten to smack another lad who pushed him back, it was annoying to see as Saxon are on the way back and i dont want to see crowd attendances falling cos of morons , I know us veterans will be there as always through thick and thin but Saxon deserve to be up there with the best
that same fat bastard was causing trouble at the judas priest gig in march 05 in the pit.