Mandatory death metal.

Krow

Garbage Connoisseur
Mar 4, 2008
Roadkill, WV
Always looking for good death metal albums...

I'm not talking about just the classics... but good, newer death metal would be great too. I've heard quite a bit, so I dont think posting what I've already heard is within reason... and this could be sort of a "guide" for people just getting into it right?

So... suggestions?

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours

Not a lot of death metal is essential to me.

Wormed is certainly essential if you consider yourself a fan of extremity and heavy, brutal stuff.

I'd go so far as to say that Devourment is at least essential to hear, so you can form an opinion on the style they play, to which Nick/cookiecutter and I have a blog dedicated.

Others:
Demilich
early Darkthrone
Intestine Baalism
Anatomia (since you like Autopsy ;))
Morpheus Descends
In-Quest (up to and including Epileptic is essential, seriously)

Demilich... I've heard... and didnt like at all at first... but after revisiting them a few times, my opinion has changed.

Devourment ... the creators of slam... I've listened to and enjoyed 1.3.8 but its the type of metal I only want a short burst of. An entire cd at once is a bit much, imo. Butcher the Weak was pretty meh in comparison.

I listened to Wormed... and I'm a bit taken back and blown away at the same time. I usually dont like vocals delivered in that manner as opposed to normal growling or whatever (the only issue I have with Devourment)... but everything else was so superb I can look past that and enjoy it for what it was. Pure insanity.

I'm going to revisit my three The Chasm albums... then listen to Amorphis (because I have it ready >_>) and start on V's list.

I listened to Amorphis ~ The Karelian Isthmus and absolutely loved it. My mp3 player crashed though and I've been trying to restore what I have before listening to anything. I have Darkthrone's death metal album ready to go.

The 5 death metal albums I've spent the most time listening to are prolly

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Mithras - Forever Advancing... Legions
Nasum - Helvete (death/grind yeah but if say Deicide and Lykathea Aflame could be on this list I don't really see why Nasum can't feature also)
At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris

Also someone mentioned Wormed; I don't think Wormed's vocals are really bad bad but I kinda wish there was less of them/they were quiter or something. I don't understand all the shizzle about them being the 'heaviest' vocals ever and such either, some of it really does just sound funny to me. Lykathea Aflame kinda vocals would fit Wormed way better I think.

Also on the topic of the two bands mentioned above, I find it amazing how 'famous' they have grown the past few years over the internet. I bought Elvenefris not long after it came out and for years no one ever seemed to mention them. Nearly all threads involving death metal now seem to have these 2 bands in them.

I checked Nasum on Encyclopedia Metallum and found something I know that will bother me without even listening to them yet. I have no problem with deathgrind (I listen to the newer Napalm Death and even Mortician pretty regularly...)... but when every song clocks in at less than two minutes it really irks me. (I find Scum to be awful for that reason) I feel like things are changing before anything was accomplished... and I personally get less out of the music itself.

I checked Nasum on Encyclopedia Metallum and found something I know that will bother me without even listening to them yet. I have no problem with deathgrind (I listen to the newer Napalm Death and even Mortician pretty regularly...)... but when every song clocks in at less than two minutes it really irks me. (I find Scum to be awful for that reason) I feel like things are changing before anything was accomplished... and I personally get less out of the music itself.

I agree that Nasum, or any band of the type is an aquired taste and probably not something that you can get straight into.

I'd say Entombed's Left Hand Path and some early stuff by Unleashed might be worth a try.

I already regularly partake in Entombed and Unleashed. Anyone else think Hell's Unleashed is so over the top it's kind of funny? I'm not even gonna say anything about "Only the Dead" :lol: (different album I'm aware... but I can still pick out Joy in the Sun and Your Head is Mine from HU)

If you think "normal" angry death vocals would fit Wormed, you're misunderstanding the whole "cosmic"/"alien" aesthetic they were going for. :p

Haha. Lulz. I can just imagine John Tardy doing vocals over wormed songs.

I definitely second The Chasm and Mithras. The Chasm is just the shiznit.