Marduk

I got a promo of it from Century Media this past week. I plan to do a review for it and I am going to the show on the 9th here in Hollywood. Actually, I got a 2nd promo from them and if you want I could send you one patrick.

The album is pretty solid - Marduk returned back to their more "melodic roots" (like Those of the Unlight) but by no means have lost the brutality of the "Panzer Division"... disk. There are many cool riffs on the album a la Immortal and Legion belts out some of the most brutal black metal vocal performances I've heard since Darkthrone. In fact fans of Darkthrone would love Marduk if they haven't discovered them already. Technically this is a brilliant album, however, it does have weaknesses. I'm not sure what they're trying to do on it - whether it's supposed to go from a storyline type album to a "blasphemous" album (ie. Fuck Me Jesus). I don't know - It's harder to get into than Panzer Division and the albums before that. At least everyone knew Panzer division was a disk filled with balls to the wall brutality from track one to the end - and there were some pretty damn good songs in there too (Christraping Black Metal, 502 for example). However this album I'm not sure what Marduk is doing. If I had to give it a rating on a scale from 1-10 I'd give it about a 7. Solid album, but kind of discomobulated.