Marshall tube issues

DannyStation

New Metal Member
Jun 19, 2010
Recently one of the EL34's in my Marshall DSL stopped working, but when i replaced it with two different new tubes, none of them will light in that spot. If its an easy or common fix i would rather see if I can figure out the problem rather than paying an amp tech. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Usually if one power tube fails that is a sign to change them all at once, thats the best thing to do. Not sure if it could have caused that problem but nonetheless...

You said that tube is a different brand/model/kind?

Recently one of the EL34's in my Marshall DSL stopped working, but when i replaced it with two different new tubes, none of them will light in that spot. If its an easy or common fix i would rather see if I can figure out the problem rather than paying an amp tech. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

what do you mean light? Amber glow or blue glow, if the amber glow isn't there, it could be anything from, a blown current limiting resistor on the filament circuit, dry solder joint on the tub socket or even worse a blown tap on the primary transformer. If you are not getting the blue glow, most of the time it is a matter of a blown screen grid resistor, which can happen quite often in some amps depending on how much they cut corners in price.

best bet is to find a sheet for the tube socket layout, get a multimeter and make sure all the terminals on the socket are working, basic ground (cathode is electrically connected to ground), supply voltage at plate (anywhere from 350-500v depending on the amp) and near supply voltage at the screen (usually 20v less than plate), bias voltage on the control (-40 to -70v depending on plate current a how hot the amp is biased). If you are not experienced with electronics most people would rather take it in to a tech, but if you are comfortable working around a live amp and know electrical safety, then have a look around. Key word, electrical safety, if you know it, the voltages in the amp aren't lethal, just scare the fuck out of you when you feel a quick jolt, however touch something incorrectly (for example, having both hands in the amp at the same time), you might be saying goodbye.

sometimes on the Dsl, the bias circuit can just go fubar, taking the valves with it...
take it to a tech.