Marshall Valvestate Amps

MyEyesBleed

Ravenous Dead
Jun 4, 2002
Salinas, California
Visit site
What is everyone's opinion of the Marshall Valvestate series?

I've read several interviews with bands/guitarists that used them on albums I really enjoy and have a great sound. I know for a fact that Chuck Schuldiner swore by them and used nothing else in the studio or on tour during at least the last few Death albums. The guitar tone on "The Sound Of Perseverance" blows me away. I believe also that At The Gates used them on "Slaughter of the Soul"...there are others that escape me at the moment, I'm pretty sure Obituary used them also.

Anyway...So I keep reading all these guitarists talking about how good the Valvestates are. Heavy but clear tone, less muddy sounding tone when distorted, etc. Everytime I hear anyone use on it sounds like crap. I'm sure this could simply be the result of a guitarist who doesn't know how to coax a good tone out of the amp, the cab they use, the guitar, etc. So I'm wondering what experience other guitarists have had with these amps. Playing and listening.

Thanks for your opinions.

I have a Marshall AVT50H with the AVT412A cab. I love it. put some mids in there, turn the bass up full, high at 5, and gain around 8, and it rocks. also, it depends on what style/body your guitar is/has. and the pickup in it. if you are seriously looking into these amps, make sure you play on your guitar when trying them, or at least a guitar with good pickups in em.

But no matter what people say, its all about opinions. some prefer tube, some dont. just your decision on whether or not you like the tone coming out the amp or not. if you do, great, if not, try anothr one. that simple.

I posted this in another thread a few months back:

According to my experience, it's difficult to get a good sound from the valvestate in a band situation. I used the original Valvestate 100W head in a half stack configuration (4x12" valvestate cab). While the amp sounded great on its own, it drowned completely in the mix. I found myself battling the sound of the bass guitar and I had to bump the treble/middle to cut through - and that's when it would start to sound like shit. At stage volumes, I could only be heard if I dialled in a nasty Slayerish sound - not quite what I was shooting for.

Maybe it would get better with a wide, parametric EQ on the FX-loop and some time spent on setup. I dunno - just wanted to share my experiences.

'bane

I've used mostly tube amps the past few years (Peavey 5150 II at the moment...used to use a Marshall JCM 900), but I've played solid state amps, rack gear, tube/solid state mixes.

I've had the same problem bane...whenever I use a solid state, digital or mixed technology amp I love the tone on it's own...but once it's in the mix it tends to wash out and I have to dial it in to a tone I don't particularly like to cut through the mix.

That's pretty much the view I had on them, and of course it's all a matter of taste, just wanted to get a few other opinions.

Thanks

I think Valvestate series are the worst amps ever...
the sound of Chuck in Sound Of Perseverance isn't the Valvestate sound, I think it's record with an other amp, or if it is record with a Valvestate it is been record and processed into equalizer... compressor... etc... All the Valvestate I have seen also have some problems with electronics after about 2 year... they are also very noisy and the clean channel is very poor.
It's better to go for a JCM900 or a Peavey head, or if you have enough money for a ENGL or MESA BOOGIE, Fredman studios (In Flames... Dark Tranquillity) uses ENGL tube head for the albums.

Originally posted by tanist
I think Valvestate series are the worst amps ever...
the sound of Chuck in Sound Of Perseverance isn't the Valvestate sound, I think it's record with an other amp, or if it is record with a Valvestate it is been record and processed into equalizer... compressor... etc... All the Valvestate I have seen also have some problems with electronics after about 2 year... they are also very noisy and the clean channel is very poor.
It's better to go for a JCM900 or a Peavey head, or if you have enough money for a ENGL or MESA BOOGIE, Fredman studios (In Flames... Dark Tranquillity) uses ENGL tube head for the albums.

Chuck used a valvestate with a JCM 900 lead series cab. i know this becuase i've played my head(see above post) through the aforementioned cab, and it sounds exactly like TSOP. and i mean EXACTLY.

Actually, I know he used the amp...I specifically wanted to know what he used on that album because I liked the tone so much. So I scoured the internet for some interviews with chuck until I found some where he talked about his setup on TSOP and he said specifically he only used the VS, with a little chorus on the solos, no rack setup, no additional effects, etc.

He said that he spent about 30 minutes in the studio dialing in his sound on his amp...also he claimed the key to his "sound" was a Dimarzio X2N pickup in the bridge of his BC Rich Stealth.

So anyway, of course all tone is a matter of taste and the whole tube/solid state thing is a vicious cirlce. It's good to hear some different views on it. I don't plan on buying a VS, I like my tube amps just fine and I'm still trying to pound out my "sound" by trying different guitars and amps, etc.

thanks for the opinions

Originally posted by MyEyesBleed
Actually, I know he used the amp...I specifically wanted to know what he used on that album because I liked the tone so much.

One thing you don't mention is that he used $100,000+ worth of equipment to record, mix and master the album...

You're never going to be able to reproduce that in a practice sitiuation, let alone a live situation.

I use to have a valvestate combo and it was good. Now I have a jcm 2000 DSL 100 (new in september)....um if anyone wants to buy it, let me know.

Evergrey used a VS cross-tracked with a Digitech 2112 for their latest album(it came 2001). They have a pretty good sound, but like xeno said. It is recorded in a pro studio, and that is really the big difference.

Valvestates sound good for practice and for home use, but put one in a mix and it sounds poor. You're better of getting a head with all valve distortion. It'll last longer, there's less to go wrong and it won't start to break down on you. Valve amps are easy to fix, solid state is a lot harder and in the case of valvestates and the like you have a bunch of digital circuitry in there.

I love Behringer cabs...right now I'm using a Behringer stereo 4x12 cab. I recently looked into a slightly used Mesa Boogie dual channel Triple Rectifier...a friend of a friend was getting ready to sell it and offered me a deal and first crack at it. Right now I'm playing a Peavey 5150 II through the Behringer...I have some rack gear that I'm not using right now. Anyway...I played the Mesa through a high end Marshall cab...within about 30 seconds of playing I turned him down...I like the sound of my setup better, pure and simple. It was a fuller, heavier sound and I could hear the subtle tones a lot better.

Anyway, I'm never buying a VS, but I haven't made a thread in a while...so I thought I'd post, ha. Anyway...who knows, maybe sometime in the near future I'll buy some high gain, hand made tube amp like a Diezel or something like that...but for playing in my practice room in my house, my setup does just fine and I like it.

I'm a proud owner of the Valvestate 2000 AVT150 combo and I love the fucker. 4 channels, ridiculously versatile, and a warm distortion. I'd recommend it to anyone. I had no issues at all with cutting thru when I was playing in a band and playing gigs. Shit, we even had another guitar player and a very prominent keyboardist, and it still cut thru. I like insane amount of mids though-my tone just HONKS, so maybe thats why, I dunno.

speaking of marshall valvestate amps. I was thinking about buying a Marshall AVT 50 head, but my only concern is if it will be loud enough to play gigs and to be heard over the other guitarist in my band. He has a Marshall VS 100 Head and he usually has the volume around 1 or 2 o' clock. what do you think?

I've got a Valvestate VS100 100W, and I love it as well. It's probably the perfect practice amp for the money. I think I paid about $650 brand new. It was a pretty good deal. It's way too loud for my dorm that I live in, so I have to move it to a practice area sometimes.